[Sig-l] SIG Allocations for FY16

Kathryn La Barre kathryn.labarre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:43:08 EDT 2015

Greetings Adam.

I'm replying with a somewhat longer email that includes the text of the
handout I gave SIGs at the last Cabinet meeting which provides six criteria
that distinguish a healthy SIG from a struggling SIG. Each year SIGs must
accomplish at least four of these criteria to remain healthy. SIGs that
fall below this minimum level will receive extra support and attention from
the SIG cabinet to ensure continued vitality - the Cabinet reviews SIG
accomplishments after your annual reporting (due August 15 for SIGs who
wish to be considered for SIG of the year, or September 15th for the rest).
The SIG Cabinet is here for your SIG - to help with resources, advice, and
general support.

The importance of aiming for 10 members present at your annual business
meeting also is noted in the SIG officers manual: {p. 16]

"SIG planning meetings are to be conducted according to Robert's Rules of
Order, as long as such rules are not inconsistent with ASIS&T policies.
According to ASIS&T policy, a majority or 10 members of the SIG, whichever
is smaller, will constitute a quorum for a SIG planning meeting. Minutes of
the meeting are to be prepared and copies must be sent to the SIG Cabinet
Director and to Headquarters and distributed to the SIG’s membership
electronically. Business/planning meetings can also be held at other times
during the year if petitioned by 20 members of the SIG or as called by the
leadership of the SIG."

Handout text from the last SIG Cabinet meeting at the annual meeting in
2014 which states the criteria the Cabinet uses to ascertain the general
health of your SIG:

*Assessment criteria for SIG Health*

*The ASIST Board Policy Manual states the following criteria as the minimum
activity for viability: *

(1)  Membership above 50

(2)  One newsletter or alternative form of substantive correspondence to
general membership should be produced during each Admin year

(3)  Annual elections must be held

(4)  At least one technical program or project should be SIG-sponsored or
co-sponsored each year

(5)  There should be at least 10 members, including one officer at the SIGs
annual planning meeting

(6)  Each SIG must submit an annual activities report for the past year and
an activities plan and budget plan for the upcoming year

If any two of the above minimum criteria are not met in a given year, the
SIG Cabinet Director shall write a letter to all of that SIG’s members
informing them of the problem. If any two criteria are not met for two
consecutive years, the SIG shall go on probation. The Cabinet Director
shall inform The SIG Cabinet and the SIG’s membership of this fact. If more
than four of the six criteria cannot be met three consecutive years, then
the Cabinet Director shall recommend the dissolution or merger to the SIG
Cabinet. The SIG members and SIG Cabinet shall be notified 30 days in
advance if such action is to be taken. SIG members may submit written
reactions to the action and may appear at the Cabinet meeting to
participate in the discussion.  *In the event a SIG does not meet at least
two of the minimum criteria in any one year, the Cabinet Director shall
notify the members and the Cabinet 30 days in advance of the Cabinet
meeting and automatically recommend merger or dissolution.

Please note:

This is a multi year process.

For SIGs falling below the minimum standard the process would look like
this:

Year 1 - if your SIG falls below the minimum criteria - your SIG will
receive intensive cabinet support, discussions with the officers and
members about the urgency of this situation and mentoring to help your SIG
get back on track.

Year 2 - if your SIG remains below the minimum criteria your SIG may be
placed on probation

Year 3 - if your SIG continues to remain below the minimum criteria your
SIG may be encouraged to merge with another or in extreme circumstances may
be recommended for dissolution. This step has never been taken and all
other options must be exhausted.

*The SIG officer’s manual currently states the following as criteria for
SIG yearly activities:*

                  Is the SIG current on required reports?

                                    Annual activity report

                                    Annual budget

                  Expenditures and income is tracked quarterly by HQ

                  Activities outside annual meeting (in annual activities
report)

                  Annual meeting activities

                                    Did the SIG attend the Cabinet meeting
(attendance taken)

                                    Did the SIG hold an annual business
meeting? (cabinet facilitates sign-up)

                                    Did the SIG hold an election of
officers?

                                    Did the SIG submit technical programs
to the annual meeting?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Heather D. Pfeiffer <
heatherdpfeiffer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> The 10 members at the annual business meeting for the SIGs is an ASIS&T
> bylaws requirement for all SIGs.  I am going to be posting soon a HEALTH
> list for all SIGs for being healthy.  Kathryn actually discussed this and
> other rules at the last Cabinet meeting last November.  BTW, it is not a
> new rule; just one that the Cabinet Directors have started truly moderating
> to look at the health of SIGs.  Right now, most of our SIGs are looking
> much better :-)
>
> -Heather
> SIG Cabinet Director
>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Adam Worrall <adam at adamworrall.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Heather (and everyone), on the part of your e-mail about needing 10
>> members to attend SIG business meetings (quoted below): Is this a
>> relatively new -- or newly enforced -- rule? I’m fairly sure I’ve been to
>> at least one or two SIG business meetings that have had less than ten
>> members in attendance during my time in ASIS&T so far. Were they in
>> unintended violation of this rule, or did it not exist back in (say) 2011?
>>
>> > I would love it if each SIG could see how many of your members you
>> could get to come to the annual meeting.  Remember you need 10 members at
>> your business meeting at the annual meeting!
>>
>> With the great membership numbers for our SIGs this shouldn’t be hard for
>> most to achieve, of course :) but if it’s a rule we should be meeting it
>> will be important to know that going into ASIS&T 2015, I think. Thanks in
>> advance for clarifying!
>>
>> Adam Worrall, Ph.D.
>> Communications Officer, ASIS&T SIG SI
>> adam at adamworrall.org