[Sig-l] Headquarters Services for Chapters or SIGs

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Fri Aug 18 09:49:46 EDT 2006

It occurred to us during a Chapter conference call on June 13 that it would
be helpful to outline exactly what ASIS&T headquarters (HQ) can and will do
with and for Chapters or SIGs.  Given turnover and changing capabilities,
this information should be passed along to incoming officers, and now seems
like an opportune time with some officers changing.

Dick Hill
----------

1. Reports:  Chapter leaders can have access to both the Chapter Roster and
the Chapter Update Reports via the web, and SIG officers to SIG rosters.
The information in these reports is updated every couple of hours based on
our changes to the database.  The reports can come as a PDF or as a comma
separated value (CSV) report that is easily saved as a spreadsheet file so
you can sort and manipulate as you wish.  I know that many Chapters and SIGs
have not utilized these or even requested access.  This capability is
individually added to an individual's "Membership Profile" section as each
individual is given access for a particular SIG or Chapter.  No cost.
Contact rhill at ASIS.ORG

Other reports can be produced as needed by HQ, but the above are hard wired
for your convenience.  Contact vfoss at asis.org

2. Conference Calls.  We have a conference call account. Chapters or SIGs
may wish to take advantage of this for their Board, program planners, etc.
I can set these up quickly and easily.  There needs to be someone from HQ
involved as a "PIN" holder.  Charges will be based on usage.  Contact
rhill at asis.org

3. E-Mail lists.  I have set up e-mails lists for all SIGs and for many
chapters which have requested them.  They are using the same software as
this list.  We can dump in your current members as a start.  Chapter or SIG
officers can work updates through the reports mentioned in #1 above.  You
need to provide a moderator.  One chapter has two lists, both one for their
general membership and one for their Board/Program Planning Committee.  The
software can be set to add people imported as above, or to require
confirmation (i.e., acceptance of the subscriptions).  There are other
options as well that the moderator can determine. No charge.  Contact
rhill at asis.org

4. Surveys:  We have survey software.  Php.esp v. 8.1.  A URL to look at the
types of question formats that can be asked is at
http://www.asis.org/surveys/public/survey.php?name=Software_Demo_copy1.
This is open source software that turns responses on applicable questions
into graphs, accepts free text comments, and from which the "manager" can
get a CSV file of all responses to do cross tab analysis.  The demo
referenced above does not employ the different page styles which are
available.   The software is not especially elegant, but it is fully
functional.  Contact rhill at asis.org

During the Chapters Conference call I was thinking of national questions,
but this can be easily set to provide quick information for individual
Chapter or SIG, as each may have unique questions for its particular
situation.  Each chapter or SIG can have its own survey.  As we develop
experience in this, there is no reason there cannot be a "library" of
previously used surveys. Whatever works best for a particular situation.

5. Accepting Credit Cards.  For a number of Chapters, we have set up online
registration forms, linked to from the Chapters site and posted in e-mail
marketing, so we can accept payments for meetings for the Chapter.  The fee
for processing the credit cards is whatever the processing company pays us.
Contact jhatzakos at asis.org

6. Hosting Web Sites    We can provide server space for your web site.   Jan
Hatzakos can create the directory and give the designated person from your
chapter access.  You will retain control of content and design.  This will
avoid the need to move sites as webmasters or hosts change.  There are some
restrictions on what can be done.  Contact jhatzakos at asis.org

One chapter asked about our hosting the membership database program they
maintain
(which includes prospects, etc.).  We are happy to host such programs on the
server, but strongly prefer not to get involved in licensing and other such
requirements, security risks, etc.  Hence, these will be dealt with on an
individual basis.  We do have reservations about some of the Microsoft
products, for example, and prefer open source in general.  This raises a
different question of ASIS&T & the chapters sharing prospects, but that will
be considered later.  Contact rhill at asis.org

7. Wikis, Blogs and other stuff I know very little about.   We can set up
Wikis, using WikiMedia software or host blogs on the ASIS&T server or in
your Chapter space.
No charge.  Contact rhill at asis.org

---
In hosting web sites, other programs, and wikis and blogs, the amount of
assistance we can provide is limited based on our experience and time
available.

Dick

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900