[Sig-bwp] AppLab > Transforming Lives through Innovation in Information Access

gerrymck gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:20:03 EDT 2009

Colleagues/

!!! A Most Amazing And Successful Mobile Initiative !!!

/Gerry

AppLab > About the Application Laboratory

The Application Laboratory (AppLab) is an initiative of the Grameen
Foundation. We work to promote innovation in the provision of services
and information using mobile phones and other ICTs (Information and
Communication Technologies) to alleviate poverty in the developing
world.

The Issue

Poor and rural populations often lack access to important information
and knowledge that would enable them to improve their lives and
livelihoods.

The AppLab Solution

By leveraging the power of information and communications
technologies, AppLab seeks to overcome the barriers to accessing
information that contribute to the poverty cycle.

How AppLab Works

AppLab uses mobile technologies to both disseminate and gather
relevant and actionable information. We develop mobile phone
applications and services that allow people to access information on
important topics like health and agriculture, among others. For
example, through a simple text message a farmer can receive tips on
treating crop diseases, learn local market prices, or get advice on
preventing malaria.

Our applications can also be used for collecting information. For
example, surveys conducted by mobile phones can be used to collect
information on access to health services or the types of crops being
grown in a specific region. This information can provide a detailed
understanding of the challenges poor communities face and equip
service providers with the knowledge they need to better serve the
poor.

Objectives

The Application Laboratory seeks to:

Deeply understand the needs of poor people in the developing world and
guide the development of innovative applications delivered over mobile
devices tailored to their needs

Develop opportunities for micro-entrepreneurs to enhance their
existing shared phone businesses and build new businesses collecting
and disseminating information, serving as “information hubs” for their
communities

Design applications and associated business models which improve the
lives and livelihoods of the poor and are financially sustainable,
scalable, and show potential to be replicated globally

Demonstrate the potential for our partners to meet the needs of people
at the base of the pyramid

<<< More >>>

Mission, Vision and Approach

FAQs / Video / AppLab’s Worldwide Team / AppLab Atlas (Newsletter) /
AppLab’s Worldwide Team /Resource Center

<<< Related >>>

GF, Google and MTN Uganda Launch New Mobile Services for Uganda's Poor
; AppLab Uganda Launch [YouTube]

<<< See Also >>>

> Cell Phone Information Services > Grameen Foundation Expands Technology Program for Poor Farmers ...

>> Using Cellphones To Change The World

>>> Africa > Mobile Phone > Powerful Instrument Of Learning

>>> Question Box > CellPhone Reference / Extension Service For The Developing World

Links The HomeSite / Etc. AND Related Postings Availabale At

[ http://tinyurl.com/yglpt57]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There Are No Answers, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace