[Pasig-discuss] Digital repository storage benchmarking

Tim Walsh twalsh at cca.qc.ca
Fri May 12 10:15:39 EDT 2017

Dear PASIG,

I am currently in the process of benchmarking digital repository storage setups with our Director of IT, and am having trouble finding very much information about other institutions’ configurations online. It’s very possible that this question has been asked before on-list, but I wasn’t able to find anything in the list archives.

For context, we are a research museum with significant born-digital archival holdings preparing to manage about 200 TB of digital objects over the next 3 years, replicated several times on various media. The question is what precisely those “various media” will be. Currently, our plan is to store one copy on disk on-site, one copy on disk in a managed off-site facility, and a third copy on LTO sent to a third facility. Before we commit, we’d like to benchmark our plans against other institutions.

I have been able to find information about the storage configurations for MoMA and the Computer History Museum (who each wrote blog posts or presented on this topic), but not very many others. So my questions are:

* Could you point me to published/available resources outlining other institutions’ digital repository storage configurations?
* Or, if you work at an institution, would you be willing to share the details of your configuration on- or off-list? (any information sent off-list will be kept strictly confidential)

Helpful details would include: amount of digital objects being stored; how many copies of data are being stored; which copies are online, nearline, or offline; which media are being used for which copies; and what services/software applications are you using to manage the creation and maintainance of backups.

Thank you!
Tim

- - -

Tim Walsh
Archiviste, Archives numériques
Archivist, Digital Archives

Centre Canadien d’Architecture
Canadian Centre for Architecture
1920, rue Baile, Montréal, Québec  H3H 2S6
T 514 939 7001 x 1532
F 514 939 7020
www.cca.qc.ca<http://www.cca.qc.ca/>

Pensez à l’environnement avant d’imprimer ce message
Ce courriel peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels. Si vous n’êtes
pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez nous en aviser immédiatement. Merci
également de supprimer le présent courriel et d’en détruire toute copie.
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this email as well
as any other copy. Thank you.