[Pasig-discuss] Risks of encryption & compression built into storage options?

David Rosenthal dshr at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 18 22:25:59 EDT 2017

On 03/17/2017 12:06 PM, Michal Růžička wrote:
> I do not think erasure coding is a good idea in the LTP system as
> significantly increases the complexity of the system and coding
> (increases probability of an error in implementation/process/...) and
> increases interconnections of the data between the multiple storage
> areas. I am a big fan of isolation, independence and
> as-simple-as-possible coding of the data replicas as much as possible.

Erasure coding can easily halve the cost. Running out of money is often
a much more likely threat than "an error in implementation/process/..."

Once again, it is important to base these discussions on an explicit
threat model. Perhaps Michal's threat model excludes budgetary threats.
If so, many of us will be very jealous, especially given the US
administration's proposed budget.

	David.