[Pasig-discuss] Risks of encryption & compression built into storage options?

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 12:59:49 EDT 2017

On 17/03/17 15:34, Neil Jefferies wrote:
> However, erasure coding only protects against certain failure modes and
> is critically dependent on metadata for fragment reassembly.

This. And your metadata layer may be proprietary and opaque, and
possibly require a particular version of a system to successfully
rebuild fragments. Roll on robust open-source implementations with
confidence-building distributed filesystem integrity checking,
but I'd be wary of adopting anything other than that.

Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Pennaeth TGCh                                               Head of ICT
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales