[Neasis-l] Library 2.0, Feds v. Google and posting to this list

Caryn Anderson caryn.anderson at simmons.edu
Fri Jan 20 13:57:54 EST 2006

Greetings fellow NEASIST members,

Happy New Year! I've got a few things to share that you might be
interested in.

In an effort to generate a greater sense of community within our
chapter, and keep us all up to date on the latest developments in
information science and related fields, the board of NEASIST would
like to encourage everyone to use this NEASIS-L list more frequently
to share relevant news and items of interest.

For my part, there were a couple of things I came across recently that
you may find interesting.

1. WALT CRAWFORD ON LIBRARY 2.0

Title: Library 2.0 and "Library 2.0"

For those of you that are curious to understand more about what Web
2.0 means for libraries and/or what the new phrase "Library 2.0"
really means, Crawford has published his extensive investigation of
descriptions and opinions of Library 2.0 on the web.

It includes extensive extracts from various blogs and publications
including a section titled "62 views, 7 definitions" which gives a
fascinating, rapid overview of the diverse talk about Library 2.0.

Other sections list individuals and summarize their views. He
references and summarizes many of NEASIST's past speakers: Jenny
Levine, Michael Stephens, Casey Bisson, and Steve Cohen.

Crawford is not particularly impressed with much of what he found, but
 his essay is one of the most comprehensive catalogs of the topic
I've seen.

2. DEPT of JUSTICE vs GOOGLE
Title: Feds after Google Data

"In court papers filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose, Justice
Department lawyers revealed that Google has refused to comply with a
subpoena issued last year for the records, which include a request
for 1 million random Web addresses and records of all Google searches
from any one-week period."

"The government argues that it needs the information as it prepares to
once again defend the constitutionality of the Child Online
Protection Act in a federal court in Pennsylvania. The law was struck
down in 2004 because it was too broad and could prevent adults from
accessing legal porn sites."

Obviously there are lots of perspectives of this, from privacy issues
and first amendment stuff, to protection of trade secrets and the
more technical details of information retrieval and the degree to
which it can be controlled.

Hope you find the above useful and interesting and that you will use
NEASIS-L to share relevant news and items you encounter so that we
can all benefit from our collective information networks.

Cheers!
Caryn

Program Chair, NEASIST
Coordinator, International Calendar of Information Science Conferences
(http://icisc.neasist.org/)
and
Program Coordinator
PhD in Managerial Leadership in the Information Professions
GSLIS, Simmons College
300 The Fenway, P-204E
Boston, MA  02115
caryn.anderson at simmons.edu