[MNASIS-L] Minnesota SLA Meeting Oct. 16 - Confessions of a Recovering Google Addict & SLA Chapter Awards

Janet Arth arth at tc.umn.edu
Tue Sep 19 10:21:47 EDT 2006

The Minnesota Chapter of the Special Libraries Association invites you to
attend:

  An Evening of Awards and Search Engine Update
  - Quality in Action Award Winner
  - Grieg Aspnes/Cargill Scholarship Winner
  - Confessions of a Recovering Google Addict with Nancy Warren

WHEN

Monday, October 16th, 2006
5:30 ­ 6:00 Registration & Networking
6:30 ­ 7:00 Awards Presentation
7:00 ­ 7:30 Confessions of a Recovering Google Addict
7:30 ­ 8:00 Questions & Wrap Up

*Appetizers and beverages will be served

WHERE
Sumner Library, The Cargill Room
611 Van White Memorial Blvd.
Minneapolis MN 55411
(612) 630-6390

Parking lot or on-street parking available.  For a map go to:
   www.mpls.lib.mn.us/sumnermap.asp

COST
$20 for guests
$15 for library association members (SLA, ASIS&T, SCIP, MALL, etc.)
$10 for students, unemployed, or retired

REGISTRATION
Registration is a two-part process ­ please register and send payment by
October 11th!
   1. Email name and contact information
to<mailto:minnesota.sla at gmail.com?subject=October%2016th%20Meeting%20Registration>
minnesota.sla at gmail.com
   2. Make payment through PayPal OR send check payable to MN Chapter SLA

Registration details are available on the MN SLA website at:
   http://units.sla.org/chapter/cmn/programs/events/e101606.htm

CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS
Karen Stauber ­ karen.stauber at target.com ­ 612.761.7194
Jill Strand - jstrand at faegre.com ­ 612.766.8843
Kristine Spanier ­ kdspanier at yahoo.com - 612.823.4242

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
1. Honor the winners of the Quality in Action & Grieg Aspnes/Cargill
scholarship awards

2. Confessions of a Recovering Google Addict / Learning to Think Outside
the Search Box:
    When Google first arrived on the scene, I quickly abandoned all other
search engines I had been using.  Finally, result sets that clearly
corresponded to my search terms!   Over the years, I've been a loyal fan of
Google, happily learning its advanced features and search syntax.  When
asked to give a presentation on Internet Searching for Legal Professionals
earlier this year that was to include a section on the "best" search
engines, a friend of mine asked, "So what are the best search engines?"  To
which I said, with a bit of foolish arrogance, "Google."  As a consummate
professional and tactful friend, she merely replied, "Really?"  Thankfully,
I came to my senses and said, "Hmmm... I guess I'll have to find out."  The
result of my investigation is a better repertoire of Internet search tools
and techniques, as well as some interesting finds. ­ Nancy Warren

SPEAKER BIOGRAPHY
    Nancy Warren is the Access Services/Systems Librarian at Fredrikson &
Byron, P.A. where she manages the library's integrated library system, web
site and electronic resources. She also provides research assistance and
technical support. Nancy has taught classes and seminars on research
methods, online research, management of electronic resources, project
management, and technical competencies.  She holds an M.L.S. from the
University at Buffalo, an M.M. in Music History and an M.M. in Music
Performance from Temple University, and a B.M. in Music Performance from
Indiana University. Prior to her career as a librarian, she played bassoon
with various orchestras and opera companies throughout the United States.