[MNASIS-L] MN SLA Chapter hosts the SLA Virtual Seminar on March 9th: Identifying client needs - part 1

Janet M. Arth arth at tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 2 18:01:31 EST 2005

The Minnesota Chapter will host the March 9th SLA Virtual Seminar,
"Identifying client needs, part 1:  the process"

Date:  Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Time:  1:00 - 2:30pm CDT  (plan to arrive a few minutes early, because the
seminar starts promptly at 1pm)

Location:
  Northwest Area Foundation (located on the 4th floor of the Drake Building)
  60 Plato Blvd.   Suite 400
  St. Paul, MN  55107

Your host:  Melissa Yauk

Directions:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&formtype=search&countryid=250&addtohistory=&country=US&address=60+Plato+Blvd+E&city=Saint+Paul&state=MN&zipcode=55107-1827&historyid=&submit=Get+Map

Cost:  $10 for SLA/ASIST members:  $15 for non-members  (Please make your
check payable to "Minnesota Chapter SLA" and bring it with you to the seminar.

How to register:  Send the registration form shown below to Jim Tchobanoff
(jtchobanoff at bigfoot.com) or call Jim at 651 636-3738.  Space is limited,
so register ASAP.

Registrations will be handled in the order received and a confirmation
message will be sent.  Please note that if you register, you are obligated
pay for your seminar attendance, whether or not you show up on the 9th.

March 9th Virtual Seminar Registration Form:

Name:

Phone number:

SLA/ASIST member:  yes  no

Do you need a receipt:  yes  no

******************************

Thanks to Melissa Yauk at Northwest Area Foundation for hosting the seminar.

Any questions, call Jim 651 636-3738 or send an email (jtchobanoff at bigfoot.com)

Jim Tchobanoff

Seminar information follows:
******************************
Identifying Client Needs

Part I
The Process

March 9, 2005
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm CT
suehenczel95x98.jpg

Description
Effective information services are those that accurately meet the needs of
the client base. In order to establish what products and services are
required we, as information professionals, must understand not only what
information products and services our clients need to do their jobs, but
also what they do with the information we provide to them and how that
contributes to organizational success. By understanding why the information
is needed we can accurately define and prioritize our products and services
(and consequently our resourcing and budgets) and define how the
information must be packaged to be most useful. We can also identify those
tasks or business processes that are supported by information that we
provide and rate the criticality of the information to the successful
completion of the task or process. This is invaluable when promoting your
service as a core corporate function rather than an overhead.

This seminar discusses why identifying your clients needs is critical to
the future viability of your service. It introduces the process of
identifying client needs as a research process that has a number of stages.
It describes the comprehensive planning stage that defines the objectives,
scopes the project, allocates resources (human, technical, financial etc.)
and determines an appropriate survey methodology and discusses the critical
issues associated with the data collection and analysis stages.

Virtual Learning Series Speaker
<http://www.sla.org/content/learn/learnmore/distance/2005virtsem/030905vls/Henczel.cfm>Sue
Henczel, INFASE Solutions