[Eurchap] Fwd: [SIGMETRICS] Vacancy post-doctoral researcher Centre for Science and Technology Studies

Michel Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Thu Mar 7 05:26:49 EST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SIGMETRICS] Vacancy post-doctoral researcher Centre for
Science and Technology Studies
Date: 	Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:36:21 +0100
From: 	Noijons, E. <noyons at CWTS.LEIDENUNIV.NL>
To: 	<SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Vacancy post-doctoral researcher Centre for Science and Technology Studies

The Centre for Science and Technology Studies of the Faculty of Social
Sciences of Leiden University wishes to announce a vacancy for the
following position:

*POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCHER (38 hours per week)*

Vacancy number: 13-062

*/The Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS)/*

The Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) is an
interdisciplinary institute at Leiden University. Our research staff
originates from many fields, varying from psychology, political science,
literature studies and information science, to computer science,
economics, physics and chemistry. We study the dynamics of science and
its connections to technology and innovation. In other words, we study
scientific and scholarly research from a scientific point of view. CWTS
uses large databases that enable us to quantitatively discern the growth
in scientific publications, patterns of collaboration, the impacts of
science, and many other aspects of science such as scholarly
communication and evidence-based performance assessment.

Our research is also used to provide high-quality services, via a
university-owned company CWTS BV, to research institutes for evaluation
of the impact of their publications and their standing in the
international scientific community. In addition, we analyse the
development of scientific careers, and the impact of research assessment
on knowledge production, by way of mixed-methods research (including
surveys and ethnographic methods).

Since 2012, we have focused our activities and interests within the
framework of a new research program
(_www.cwts.nl/pdf/cwts_research_programme_2012-2015.pdf_
<http://www.cwts.nl/pdf/cwts_research_programme_2012-2015.pdf>). CWTS
has three chairs for full professors (Scientometrics; Science &
Innovation studies; Science policy studies) as well as five working
groups on key research themes (Advanced bibliometric methodologies;
Evaluation practices in context; Social sciences and humanities;
Scientific careers; Societal impact of research). The centre hosts a
dynamic group of senior researchers and talented juniors who welcome
collaboration with colleagues internationally and nationally. We can
accommodate internships and provide students with supervision for
Master’s and PhD theses.

*/Job description/*

We are inviting applications for a post-doctoral position in our new
research program. The post-doctoral candidate is expected to carry out
research in the context of the Evaluation Practices in Context (EPIC)
working group at CWTS. This new line of research focuses on the
implications of research assessment, and the performance criteria
applied, for scientific and scholarly communication and knowledge
production. The post-doc project will be drawn up in close consultation
with prof.dr. Paul Wouters (Scientometrics chair) and dr. Sarah de
Rijcke (EPIC working group leader). The post-doc will be encouraged to
carry out comparative research with other EPIC group members. Results of
the research will be disseminated through preparation of publications
for a range of audiences.

*/Evaluation Practices in Context (EPIC)/*

The working group Evaluation Practices in Context (EPIC) examines the
politics and practices of research evaluation in connection with
contemporary forms of governance of research and scholarship. EPIC
combines and contributes to theoretical frameworks and detailed
empirical studies from Science and Technology Studies (STS) broadly
defined (including scientometrics, and history, sociology and
anthropology of science), organizational studies and higher education
studies. The working group pays particular attention to the implications
of research assessment, and the performance criteria applied, for
scientific and scholarly communication and knowledge production.
Important STS perspectives that we draw on have demonstrated that
‘science’ and ‘politics’ or ‘knowledge’ and ‘power’ should not be seen
as separate spheres of action, but are involved in a constant process of
mutual embedding and stabilization. Accordingly, our work analyzes the
co-constitution of knowledge in relation to specific epistemic cultures,
evaluation systems, publication practices, and governance contexts.

*/Profile post-doctoral researcher/*

We are looking for a prospective candidate with a PhD in the social
sciences or humanities, preferably in science, technology and innovation
studies or related fields (e.g. sociology, law, anthropology, political
science, history of science, organizational studies, cultural studies).
The candidate must have strong skills in designing, organizing and
executing qualitative research, especially interviews and ethnographic
fieldwork. Experience with computer-supported analysis (eg AtlasTI) is
desirable but not necessary. Preference will be given to candidates with
an academic drive who can provide clear evidence of, or potential for,
international excellence in published research. The candidate should be
able to work independently as well as cooperate in an interdisciplinary
team. S/he should have verbal fluency in English and good written and
verbal communication skills. Fluency in Dutch is considered an asset,
but not a condition.

*/Appointment/*

We offer a temporary position as a researcher for a period of two years.
Depending upon qualifications and experience, the gross monthly salary
will be between €3227 and €4418 (scale 11), based on full time employment.

Benefits include pension contribution, annual holiday premium of 8% and
an end-of-year premium of 8.3%. Non-Dutch nationals may be eligible for
a substantial tax break (30% ruling).

Applicants should have the right to work in the Netherlands for the
duration of the contract.

*/Additional Information/*

Further information about this position can be obtained from dr. Sarah
de Rijcke, tel. _+31 71 5276853_ <tel:%2B31%2071%205276853>(office) or
e-mail _s.de.rijcke at cwts.leidenuniv.nl_
<mailto:s.de.rijcke at cwts.leidenuniv.nl>.

*/Application/*

Letters of application should be accompanied by a full curriculum vitae
and two or three references.

Applications should reach the university by March 28, 2013 and can be
sent electronically to our Human Resource Department at
_vacature at fsw.leidenuniv.nl_ <mailto:vacature at fsw.leidenuniv.nl>.

When your application reaches us we will send you confirmation by
e-mail. If you have not received a confirmation within three days after
sending the e-mail, please phone us at _+31 71 527 3427_
<tel:%2B31%2071%20527%203427>.

** We will schedule interviews on the 3rd and 10th of April 2013 **

the system manager.