[Eurchap] Last CfPapers: The Progress and Uncertainties of Human-Robot Relationships 2013

schmidt colin colin.schmidt at univ-lemans.fr
Sun Jan 6 20:55:37 EST 2013

Hello,
Please have distributed throughout your network and lists.

-Colin Schmidt

Happy New Year to all!
-----------------------

March 22, 2013

The Progress and Uncertainties of Human-Robot Relationships

Due to technological interfaces and homo- and robo- sapiens encounters,
our nurturing instinct and general emotional dispositions have evolved
over time. In a certain way there has been a re-injection of the human
into the human-machine equation. The present symposium is an enquiry
into the possible forms of relations humans can experience with robots
for everyday life. As humans, we have our habits : we perform a sub-set
of our daily tasks with the help of machine strength, machine
intelligence or robots configured for specific tasks (some only
entertain the idea of accepting to do so). Technological advance and
applications in the fields of service robotics, epigenetic robotics and
cognitive robotics go to suggest great opportunities for change although
our habits guide us to reserving another sub-set of activities to be
done with humans only. Question: being permanently faced with
technological change, will we remain tributary to our habits? Will we be
able to, or even wish to, maintain the separation we entertain between
human-centred activities and robot-lead activities? Human companions do
trigger human interest, quite naturally, but what are personal robots,
as well as virtual or digital companions able to do? Some people already
seem more enticed by a screen than a face. In this symposium we plan to
discuss the scientific, religious and media-driven conceptions in
relation to the integration of robots and cyborgs in society, artificial
pleasure and discomfort, communitarian value-sphere and social change.

Keywords & Topics:  ? Indetermination   ? Seduction  ? Risk   ?
Artificial General Intelligence   ? Social impact   ? Originality in
robotic creations   ? Cognitive enhancement   ? Technological offer and
influence    ? Dogma, moral and technological discovery   ? Care-giving
robots   ? Robot companions for citizens   ? Advanced robotics for
increased social presence    ? Personification   ? Acceptance   ?
Incommunicability   ? Human factors philosophy   ? Revision of the
definition of Relationships   ? Hybrid engineering   ? Freedom and
rights of machines   ? Co-constructed experiences   ? Artificial Selfs
and Identities   ? Permanence of human values, Ethics   ? The uncanny
valley problem   ? Communication and dialogue   ? Human resemblance and
undecidability   ? Personal preferences   ? Theoretical controversies

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Vincent MÜLLER, James Martin Research Fellow, Oxford
Martin Programme on the Impacts of Future Technology, University of
Oxford & ACT Thessaloniki. Coordinator of the European Union Network for
Cognitive Systems, Robotics and Interaction

You may find more information here on the entire event and how to submit
(deadline 17 January 2013):

http://www.laval-virtual.org/2013/?p=308

Thanks in advance for alerting the appropriate colleagues.
Sincerely,
Colin Schmidt
ParisTech & U. LeMans, France
colin.schmidt at ensam.eu <http://webmail.univ-lemans.fr/dimp/#>