[Eurchap] [Fwd: [Asis-l] Fwd: [Tps] TPS/ECPR Policy Network -CFP: INTERPRETATION IN POLICY ANALYSIS]

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 3 10:48:45 EDT 2006

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	[Asis-l] Fwd: [Tps] TPS/ECPR Policy Network -CFP: INTERPRETATION
IN POLICY ANALYSIS
Date: 	Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:55:07 -0400
De: 	Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>
Pour: 	Asis-l at asis.org
Références: 	<44C7B2CC.8090706 at bham.ac.uk>

I am interested in possibly submitting a panel to the conference
below on interpretative policy analysis about informational
institutions.  If others are interested in contributing a paper in
this growing area that stands somewhat contrapositionally to much
current information policy analysis, drop me a line at jhuns at vt.edu

> CALL FOR PAPERS
>

> INTERPRETATION IN POLICY ANALYSIS: RESEARCH & PRACTICE
>

> 31 May - 2 JUNE 2007
>
> Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS
>

> www.fsw.vu.nl/ipa
>

> Co-Organizers:
>

>                      Dvora
> Yanow
>                 Maarten Hajer
>
>                      Culture, Organization, &
> Management                                             Political
> Science
>
>          Vrije Universiteit-
> Amsterdam
> Universiteit van Amsterdam
>

> class=Section2>
>
> d.yanow at fsw.vu.nl
>                    m.a.hajer at uva.nl
>

> Advisory board:
>
> Frank Fischer, Rutgers University                        Steven
> Griggs, University of Birmingham
>
> Navdeep Mathur, University of Birmingham
>

> Ph.D. Workshop Advisory Board:
>
>                                     Katharina Paul, Universiteit
> van Amsterdam
>
> Marleen van der Haar, Utrecht University              Merlijn van
> Hulst, Erasmus University
>

> Although new labels come and go, the interpretive tradition has by
> now established itself in such a way as to inform a broad and
> growing community of scholars in fields such as public policy,
> organizational studies, political science, conflict resolution, and
> public administration.  Influenced by the “interpretive turn” in
> the social sciences during the latter half of the 20th century,
> interpretive policy analytic approaches draw on a broad spectrum of
> philosophical and analytic inquiries, among them phenomenology,
> hermeneutics, critical theory, symbolic interactionism, pragmatism,
> and ethnomethodology, plus methods analyzing discourse, rhetoric,
> frames, the fact-value distinction, categories, metaphors, and so
> on.  They offer an alternative to more positivistically-informed
> analytic tools such as survey research, regression and cost-benefit
> analyses.
>

> Interestingly, we have recently seen many successful ‘crossovers’
> in which scholars from different fields have collaborated in
> searching for a new agenda.  ‘Deliberative democracy’ has met
> ‘Dispute resolution,’ for example, and many public policy scholars
> have also become acquainted with the work of the STS (Science,
> Technology, and Society) and Science Studies communities.  These
> cross-epistemic community interactions are further evidence of the
> solidity of interpretive approaches within the practice-oriented
> social sciences, and they raise possibilities for new research
> agendas.
>

> Yet a word of caution is needed.  Our creativity in finding new
> concepts (narrative, discourse, more recently ‘performance’ and
> ‘performativity’) could also lead to a proliferation of ‘fresh
> starts.’  We might thereby run the risky of forgetting, first, that
> the various concepts and approaches under the broad interpretive
> [...]

jeremy hunsinger
Assistant Professor
Pratt Institute
www.cddc.vt.edu
wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  Learning Inquiry-the journal
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary
Studies:the book series

____
Orange vous informe que cet  e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail.
Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr