[Eurchap] ASIS-L Moderators Needed

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed May 12 14:10:39 EDT 2004

I'm re-posting this to the Europe Chapter list at Michel's suggestion.  It
would be ideal to have someone from Europe working as moderator of ASIS-L,
so there is excellent coverage.  I do have three o0r so people from N.
America interested, so there should not be a heavy workload at all.
Forwarded message is below.

Dick Hill

 We need new moderators for ASIS-L.  Ideally we will have moderators form
 Overseas, and across multiple times zones so everyone's task will be
 minimal.

 If you are interested, see below and contact Dick Hill <rhill at asis.org>
 off list.

 After several years, Cass Armstrong retired as moderator of ASIS-L and I
 have been taking care of those duties since.

 Moderating isn't a really big deal.  Everything is done through a web
 interface.  Messages like the one below come in as postings are received
 (from non members of the list, or with attachments/styled text -
 "suspicious header").

 As moderator, one can approve messages as they arrive OR wait for a daily
 summary of what is pending -- sent around 4:00 pm EST.  With many lists we
 ignore the postings of regular spam and try to clean out the lists daily -
 - unless there are subscriptions, which we try to handle immediately.

 We have tried and are trying to get an effective filter above the lists
 (and above all staff PCs) which will block a lot of the spam that comes to
 the lists and requires discarding the messages, but that has not happened
 yet.

 As far as volume is concerned, there can be 50 - over 100 spams a day to
 the list.

 Dick Hill

>     List:    Asis-l at asis.org
>     From:    p8 at yahoo.com
>     Subject: Homeowners - Get Cash Out! Any Credit Accepted!
>     Reason:  Post to moderated list
>
> At your convenience, visit:
>
>     http://mail.asis.org/mailman/admindb/asis-l
>
> to approve or deny the request.

 Richard Hill
 Executive Director
 American Society for Information Science and Technology
 1320 Fenwick Lane, Silver Spring, MD  20910
 FAX: (301) 495-0810
 Voice: (301) 495-0900
 www.asis.org