[Chapters-l] [EXT] Successful ASIS&T Regional Conference in Central Ohio

Alemneh, Daniel Daniel.Alemneh at unt.edu
Wed Sep 13 20:24:44 EDT 2017

Thank you Timothy for summarizing and sharing the story of another successful  ASIS&ST Regional Meeting in Colombus, Ohio<https://www.asist.org/events/asist-regional-meeting/asist-midwest-regional-conference/>. I think such a regional meeting is not only a great way to recruit new members, but also a wonderful opportunity for ASIS&T current members to get together without traveling far and to encourage everyone to expand local professional networks. We started our first such Regional Chapters meeting last year at Rutgers University<https://www.asist.org/events/asist-regional-meeting-2016-rutgers-university/>, and since then, we had many successful regional meetings in various parts of the world: Europe (Berlin<https://www.asist.org/events/asist-regional-meeting/berlin-regional-meeting/>), Asia (Taiwan<https://www.asist.org/publications/bulletin/februarymarch-2017/asist-taipei-chapter-reception/>), and in the US (including another one in Dublin Ohio<https://www.asist.org/events/asist-regional-meeting-oclc/>). See some of the past Regional meetings here: https://www.asist.org/?s=Regional+Meeting .

These meetings feature excellent technical programs on a variety of topics and are interesting, informative, convenient, and fun. Besides, considering the global rotations of the future ASIS&T conferences, such Regional Meetings allow for a greater opportunity for interactions between attendees, whether they can attend the Annual Meeting in that particular year or not.   Please note that all ASIS&T members are encouraged to participate in their local Chapters. All ASIS&T members whose mailing addresses are within a Chapter’s geographic boundaries are automatically members of that Chapter. Although not all ASIS&T Chapters are active, there are 21 regional chapters (including the new Brazil Regional Chapter, our first from Latin America).

ASIS&T is committed to providing assistance to help local Chapters to organize activities or special projects that revitalize and engage local members. Among other available resources and services, Chapters can apply for one of the Chapter Development Funds: https://www.asist.org/files/chapters/regional/ChapterDevelopmentFundsAppl.pdf.

Hope to see most of you at the Annual Meeting next month.

Daniel