[Carolinas_asist] An Update of the Carolinas Chapter

Cassidy R. Sugimoto csugimoto at unc.edu
Mon Oct 1 10:56:21 EDT 2007

An informational meeting was held on September 20, 2007 to discuss a
potential ASIS&T Carolinas Chapter.  During the meeting, we discussed
different models and goals for the chapter.  One model which was heavily
discussed was the idea that the Carolinas Chapter could serve as an umbrella
organization—maintaining an online calendar of events, such as the events of
student chapters within North and South Carolina and events of local and
regional chapters of organizations such as SLA, STC, ALA, TriUPA, etc.  In
addition to acting as an umbrella to publicize these events, the Carolinas
Chapter would also be responsible for programming one major event each year.
We discussed possibly holding this each September and rotating the event
around different schools/organizations within North and South Carolina.  The
possibility for extending this Chapter to Georgia [Atlanta specifically] was
also discussed.

The overwhelming vote at the meeting was to go forward with the planning of
this Chapter.  Signatures were sent from South Carolina in support of the
Chapter and we received sufficient signatures from the meeting in North
Carolina to continue with our planning.

A bylaws committee was created to prepare the chapter bylaws for the next
meeting [to be held in Milwaukee at the Annual Conference].

We have received some nominations for the positions of Chair, Chair-elect,
Secretary, Treasurer, and Record Holder, but could still use additional
nominations.  Please consider nominating someone and/or submitting a
self-nomination to me at csugimoto at unc.edu.  *I will collect nominations
until October 5, 2007*.  The voting will begin the following week.

Please feel free to email me or the listserv if you have any questions or
comments!

Sincerely,

Cassidy R. Sugimoto

Doctoral Student, School of Information and Library Science