[Asist-announce] 3 Items: Call for volunteers, DL Member access, and Second Life

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed Nov 5 09:57:59 EST 2008

1. Call for Volunteers - Juries and Committees
2. New ASIST Digital Library Access
3. ASIST in Second Life

1. Call for Volunteers
Every year at this time we re-populate Committees and Juries, and we are
calling for volunteers to take these important roles.  Easiest way to
volunteer is at the web link,
http://www.asis.org/volunteer.html

A list of committees is at: http://www.asis.org/committees.html.  Note that
the Executive Committee and the Budget and Finance are committees of the
Board and so are closed to the membership.

We have lots of awards and this is a great way to get involved, and in a
short term, focused activity.  A list of awards are at:
http://www.asis.org/awards/awardnominationdeadlines.html.  The deadlines
listed on this page are the deadlines for submission, so the reviewing and
assessing takes place shortly after the submission deadline.

2. New ASIST Digital Library Access
When you log into the ASIST web site as a member, on the first screen, left
side, there is a link to the ASIST Digital Library.  This will give you full
electronic access to the Digital Library because you are a MEMBER.

3. ASIST in Second Life - message from Alison Brueckner

Greetings, all!
     It is with pleasure that I announce that the American Society for
Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T) officially has a presence in
Second LifeT.
   Second LifeR is a 3-D virtual world created by its Residents. Since
opening
to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by
millions of Residents from around the globe.
     ASIS&T's presence in Second Life is located directly North of the Info
Architecture Island, which was established by Stacy Surla and the
Information Architecture group within ASIS&T.  With the championship of
Victor Rosenberg, Director-at-Large, both he and Allison Brueckner were able
to bring ASIS&T into SL.
     If you have an avatar in SL, you may visit ASIST Island at:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/ASIST%20Island/128/128/26.  The island (also
referred to as a "sim" or "region") in Second LifeT is in its beta version,
meaning that presently we only have the main building structures up.  The
next step will be building the content.  Once that is complete, we will have
an official grand opening in SL to include introductory remarks from some of
the leaders with this project, live music, tours, and fireworks.
     We will keep you posted as this exciting project continues.
      If you have any questions about ASIST Island, please contact Allison
Brueckner (SL: Teofila Matova) or Vic Rosenberg (SL: Ami Szpiegel).

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900