[Asis-standards] Upcoming February votes

TIMOTHY DICKEY tdickey1 at kent.edu
Fri Jan 27 15:43:06 EST 2017

Good afternoon, Mark,

On the first group:
1) Z39.87 YES, reafirm
2) Z39.43 YES, reaffirm
3) On Z39.84 this actually was a bit of a surprise, but if I am reading
this all correctly, voting YES we approve the withdrawal means there is
still a data transfer standard, it is just a single international one. If
this is correct, YES!

All best,
timothy

Timothy J. Dickey, Ph.D., MLIS.

tdickey1 at kent.edu
(614) 785-1632

   [1]tdickey1 at kent.edu
   (614) 785-1632
[...]
     Â Please cast your ballot with one of the following voting options, in
     response to the CCM recommended action of withdraw:
     YES - Approve the withdrawal of Z39.84 (comments optional)
     NO - Do not approve the withdrawal of Z39.84 (comments required)
     ABSTAIN from voting (comments are required since members of the voting
     pool volunteered to join, so an abstention vote requires explanation)
     NOTES: This recommendation/ballot is not as to whether the ISO standard
     should be reaffirmed/revised/withdrawn, but rather whether NISO should
     continue to maintain Z39.84 as a distinct standard. If Z39.84 is withdrawn
     as a NISO standard, ISO 26324:2012 will continue to be accessible at ISO.
     NISO participates in ISO discussions through TC46, so Voting Members will
     continue to have a voice in any modifications or updates, if any take
     place.
     Due 2/4/2017
     Â  Â Mark
     1) Review of ANSI/NISO Z39.87-2006 (R2011) Data Dictionary - Technical
     Metadata
     for Digital Still Images
     Â  Â Do you approve the reaffirmation of Z39.87?
     Â  Â This ballot is for the periodic review of the published standard
     ANSI/NISO
     Â  Â Z39.87-2006 (R2011) Data Dictionary - Technical Metadata for Digital
     Still
     Â  Â Images. This standard was last reviewed and reaffirmed in 2011.
     Â   Â In  accordance  with  NISO procedures, all review ballots are
     accompanied by a
     Â  Â recommendation from the responsible leadership committee. NISO's
     Content and
     Â  Â Collection Management Topic Committee recommends to REAFFIRM the
     standard.
     Â  Â Please cast your ballot with one of the following voting options:
     Â  Â YES - Approve the Reaffirmation of the standard (comments optional)
     Â  Â NO - Do not approve the Reaffirmation of the standard (comments
     required)
     Â  Â ABSTAIN from voting (comments are required since members of the
     voting pool
     Â  Â volunteered to join, so an abstention vote requires explanation)
     Â  Â Due 2/4/2017
     2) Review of ANSI/NISO Z39.43-1993 (R2011) Standard Address Number (SAN)
     for
     the Publishing Industry
     Â  Â Do you approve the reaffirmation of Z39.43?
     Â  Â This ballot is for the periodic review of the published standard
     ANSI/NISO
     Â   Â Z39.43-1993Â  (R2011)Â  Standard Address Number (SAN) for the
     Publishing
     Â  Â Industry. This standard was last reviewed and reaffirmed in 2011.
[...]
     Â  Â Should ANSI/NISO Z39.84 be withdrawn?
     Â   Â In  accordance  with  NISO procedures, all review ballots are
     accompanied by a
     Â  Â recommendation from the responsible leadership committee. The Content
     and
     Â  Â Collections Management Topic Committee recommends a vote to WITHDRAW
     the
     Â  Â standard. ISO 26324:2012 Information and documentation -- Digital
     object
     Â  Â identifier system is now available. Experts have noted that material
     covered
     Â   Â in Z39.84 is addressed in the ISO standard, sometimes in more
     up-to-date
     Â   Â ways.  It  would  be  better  to coalesce efforts to keep the
     International
     Â  Â standard updated rather than the ANSI/NISO one.
         Please  cast your ballot with one of the following voting options,
     in
     Â  Â response to the CCM recommended action of withdraw:
     Â  Â YES - Approve the withdrawal of Z39.84 (comments optional)
     Â  Â NO - Do not approve the withdrawal of Z39.84 (comments required)
     Â  Â ABSTAIN from voting (comments are required since members of the
     voting pool
     Â  Â volunteered to join, so an abstention vote requires explanation)
     Â  Â NOTES: This recommendation/ballot is not as to whether the ISO
     standard
     Â  Â should be reaffirmed/revised/withdrawn, but rather whether NISO
     should
     Â  Â continue to maintain Z39.84 as a distinct standard. If Z39.84 is
     withdrawn
     Â  Â as a NISO standard, ISO 26324:2012 will continue to be accessible at
     ISO.
     Â  Â NISO participates in ISO discussions through TC46, so Voting Members
     will
        continue  to have a voice in any modifications or updates, if any
     take
     Â  Â place.
     Â  Â Due 2/4/2017

References