[Asis-standards] Upcoming votes

TIMOTHY DICKEY tdickey1 at kent.edu
Thu Jun 30 08:28:16 EDT 2016

4) ISO 21047 (ISTC) - Within Anglo-American cataloging rules, there is a
certain need for more robust systems dealing with different bibliographic
relationships.
The main problem that I see is that of bibliographic relationships: how to
visualize and express the different possible networks of textual
(conceptual) works, and their different manifestations in print or digital
form. Annex E offers models for some of the different networks of
relationships, but has to admit in its opening that the models are "not
normative," and that "in some cases, it is possible to choose between two
alternative structures."
In the Anglo-American library world, the theoretical model of FRBR and its
practical application in the cataloging standards of RDA have tried to
clarify these kinds of relationships, but the models in Annex E offer only
partial and non-normative adherence to the library bibliographic model. I
believe that the ISTC can be applied within the U.S. cataloging world, but
that there may not be enough benefit to achieve buy-in.
In addition, the publishing world tends to operate (I believe) along subtly
different models of relationships, with the physical manifestation being
much more important to systems applications, even when considering
copyright. Here, too, I am not convinced that the community would use the
new standard number authority.
With that, I do doubt the standard would be used widely in the U. S. as
written.

Since the vote is on the other hand for a revision to include text-groups
as a new refinement based on industry responses, I would ABSTAIN - quite
possibly a worthwhile project, but I do not have an expert whom I can
nominate at this time.

Timothy J. Dickey, Ph.D., MLIS.

tdickey1 at kent.edu
(614) 785-1632