[Asis-standards] New ISO vote

Thornburg,Gail thornbug at oclc.org
Mon Oct 19 11:20:19 EDT 2015

Why would we want to vote for this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Asis-standards [mailto:asis-standards-bounces at asis.org] On Behalf Of Mark Needleman
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 11:17 AM
To: 'asis-standards at asis.org'
Subject: [Asis-standards] New ISO vote

Folks

there is a new ISO standard out for vote:

ISO 8784-2 Pulp, paper and board - Microbiological examination - Part 2 Enumeration of bacteria, yeast and mould on surface

This part of ISO 8784 specifies a method for determining the bacteria, yeast and mould population on the surface of paper and paperboard. The enumeration relates to specific media. The standard is applicable to all kinds of paper and paperboard, to dry market pulp in sheet form and to packaging material. The first part of ISO 8784 deals with the enumeration of aerobic bacteria and bacterial spores in dry market pulp, paper and paperboard, and it is based on disintegration.

We are also required to provide a justification statement for why we think this is or is not a worthwhile/useful project (depending on whether we vote yes or no). Please provide such a statement in the comments for your Yes or No vote. Consider whether you think this standard will be used in the U.S.

If the US votes to approve this as a new project, we are expected to name at least one expert who will work on this standard's development. If you would like to nominate someone, please include the name and contact information in your comments, we are now also required to provide particular information when adding Experts to working groups: The Expert's full name and email address, a salutation (Dr., Ms., etc.) as well as one of the following Stakeholder Categories:

Industry and Commerce
Government
Consumers
Labour
Academic and Research Bodies
Standards Application
Non-governmental Organization (NGO)

Please obtain that person's agreement in advance to work on this project.

Your voting options are:

Yes - approve the creation of this new project (Comments required regarding market relevance; expert nomination is necessary but optional.)

No - do not approve this new project (Comments required on reasons why not.)

Abstain from voting (comments optional)

I have attached the relevant document to this note - personally I would recommend we abstain because this seems a little outside our area of expertise - but other folks may have a different opinion

Comments needed by 10/29/2015

Mark