[Asis-standards] FW: Your vote on ISO 3166 Terms of Reference ballot

Mark H Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:06:51 EDT 2014

Anyone have a problem with this?

mark

From: Cynthia Hodgson [mailto:hodgsonca at verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 10:30 AM
To: nancy-e-kraft at uiowa.edu; mstanton at atla.com; mneedlem at ufl.edu;
julie at bisg.org; mike.dicus at exlibrisgroup.com; 'John Zagas';
btusdin at mulberrytech.com
Cc: Nettie Lagace
Subject: Your vote on ISO 3166 Terms of Reference ballot

You should have received yesterday a notification that the NISO ballot on
the ISO 3166 Terms of Reference was re-opened through this Friday (October
3). The reason for this was the split vote that was received. Although
currently the Approve votes are in the majority, there were some good
comments provided with a negative vote that we think are worthy of
consideration. In particular, it was pointed out: "The criteria for allowing
a change in 5.1.2, A.2.3.1 and A.2.3.2 are far too weak and are likely to
lead to "vanity" changes in the assigned codes which cause disruption and
cost for users. There should be a presumption that a country name change
(without boundary changes) will not lead to a code change unless there are
exceptional circumstances that justify it."

In order for us to get this and the other comments into the ballot results,
we will need to send in a US vote of NO, and we do not have sufficient
numbers at this time to do that. Each of you voted YES on the ballot and we
are suggesting you consider changing your YES vote to a NO vote.

You will need to do this before the end of the day (11:59 pm) on Friday,
October 3, if you decide to make the change. The online ballot is located
at: http://www.niso.org/apps/org/workgroup/tc46ballots/ballot.php?id=572

Thank you for your reconsideration of this ballot.

Regards,

Cynthia Hodgson

Technical Editor / Consultant

National Information Standards Organization

hodgsonca at verizon.net

301-654-2512