[Asis-standards] report on standards committee meeting

Mark Needleman MNeedleman at flvc.org
Tue Nov 5 05:52:05 EST 2013

Dick Committee Members

A short report on the meeting we had at ASIST 2013

Attendees:

Lauren Harrison ( incoming ASIST Board Liaison)
Gail Thornburg
Thomas Dickey
Mark Needleman

1)      We discussed some upcoming votes especially the one on ISO 18626 the new ISO ILL protocol - a tentative decision was made to vote NO based  on comments from Margie Hlava and Mark Needleman's comments about some missing language in the standard describing some required behavior. Mark will distribute another copy of the draft standard and the comments including his argument for voting NO based on the missing language. Since he is a member of the ISO committee developing the standard, he did not feel comfortable about casting a vote without the review of other members of  the committee
He will also distribute copies of the other documents needing comments and votes. Unfortunately I cant do this until I return home since all I have with me is an Ipad and downloading  documents to it is somewhat difficult

2)      We discussed the  possibility of either putting on a program or co-sponsoring one at ASIST 2014 - people who have ideas should send them to the list with proposed presenters. Mark will also contact various SIGs about the opportunities for co-sponsorship

3)      Mark mentioned  that while he was willing to remain chair of  the committee for another year, he felt that if anyone else wanted to take over that role he thought it might be a good idea to get some new leadership. People should either contact  him directly or send a note to the list if they are interested

Submitted by Mark Needleman - 11/5/2013