[Asis-standards] new NISO vote

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Mon Oct 15 08:18:42 EDT 2012

Folks

this is interesting: (ive attached the new work item proposal (which
also contains a current version of the standard to this note)

the ballot doesnt end until the middle of Decemberso i need comments and
a recommendation for a vote by December 15h - if we vote yes we need to
provide a "market relevance statement" as to why we believe this
revision is important

mark

his is a ballot to approve the new work item proposal to revise ISO
25577:2008 Information and documentation -- MarcXchange.

The current edition of this international standard specifies the
requirements for a generalized XML-based exchange format for
bibliographic records as well as other types of metadata. It describes a
schema which is a generalized version of, and with as few changes as
possible to, MARCXML but which retains the original MARCXML structure.
The resulting schema is an XML extension to ISO 2709, Format for
information exchange.

As you will note in the proposal document, a revision is proposed to add
an option for including embedded data. (Note that if a revision project
is initiated, additional changes beyond those proposed may be made by
the working group.)

The new work item proposal, which includes a draft of the new standard
with changes highlighted, is available from the links on the ballot
webpage and in the announcement e-mail.

Your voting options are as follows:

Yes - Approve the creation of this new revision project. Comments now
REQUIRED for Yes votes. Due to new procedures from ISO, Yes votes must
be accompanied by a market relevance statement. If you vote Yes, please
indicate why this revision is important to your organization and/or the
community. If the US votes Yes, we will also be required to provide the
name of one or more individuals to be on the working group. Please
include in your comments anyone you want to nominate to be on this
working group.

No - do not approve this new project. Comments required.

Abstain from voting - reason for abstention required.