[Asis-standards] NISO NCIP Standard

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:43:23 EDT 2012

Folks

i just read through the 2 parts of the new version on the NISO NCIP
standard and, although I have some reservations about the changes that
were made in version 2, I tend to agree we should votes YES on them

There area bunch of minor things I would have opposed if i was still on
the committee - but my major problem is with the extensibility mechanism
that was introduced in version 2 - an extensibility mechanism is
probably necessary for a standard like NCIP but I think the new version
goes a bit too far and could possibly lead to interoperability problems
among implementations. However the concept of Application Profiles that
we introduced in the original version of the standard, if defined
properly, could mitigate this problem to some extent

Extensibility was a leading issue of discussion when we defined the
initial version and we put mechanisms in place to limit extensibility in
favor of promoting interoperability. Version 2 removes many (if not all)
of those mechanisms

However I have not been involved with implementation of NCIP in awhile
so I can only assume the changes were made to meet the requirements of
systems that were implementing NCIP and felt the restrictions on
extensibility were making those implementations more difficult.

Thoughts on this? Objections?

mark