[Asis-standards] New ISO votes

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Thu Aug 9 14:35:14 EDT 2012

Folks just a reminder about some upcoming ISO votes - ill be sending out separate notices for each of them - I believe i already sent you the relevant documents (if any) but if not I apologize - let me know and ill send them out (although I'm going to be without access to a computer until 8/14)

My personal opinion is to vote YES on New work items even though most of them probably won't amount to anything -- since we can always decide how to vote on any documents they produce

mark

the 1st one is:

allot Title: New Work Item Proposal for Technical Specification for the Encoding of Data Elements Based on Rules from ISO/IEC 15962 in an RFID Tag with Partitioned Memory

Question
Do you approve the creation of a new work item to create this Technical Specification related to RFID encoding?

Description
This is the first of two new work item proposals from TC46/SC4 related to RFID in Libraries.

This proposal is for the development of a technical specification for the Encoding of Data Elements Based on Rules from ISO/IEC 15962 in an RFID Tag with Partitioned Memory, as part 4 of ISO 28560, RFID in Libraries.

Specifically, it will define rules for ISO 28560-1 data elements to be encoded in radio frequency identification (RFID) tags with a memory structure that is partitioned into four memory banks (e.g. ISO/IEC 18000-6 Type C operating in the UHF frequency, but not necessarily restricted to this technology). ISO 28560 Parts 2 and 3 are currently restricted to a specific RFID air interface protocol: ISO/IEC 18000-3 Mode 1, which operates at 13.56 MHz and those RFID tags also have a single, or monolithic, addressable memory. Since the publication of ISO 28560, there has been an increased interest and take-up of UHF RFID tags (860 to 960 MHz) for libraries. This Technical Specification will offer libraries who choose to use UHF technology a means to use the ISO 28560-1 data model in a standard way.

Included with the ballot is a document with the proposal justification and a preliminary draft of the proposed technical specification. It can be downloaded from the ballot webpage or from the link in the announcement e-mail.