[Asis-standards] Comments on ISO/IEC FDIS 1724

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Sat Apr 28 17:24:07 EDT 2012

Folks

I just submitted the comments on 17024 I sent out for the committee to comment on. Turns out this voting cycle is not an actual vote. NISO members only had the option of submitting comments (or not)

The comments I submitted we're along the lines of what I sent out last week, only slightly reworded to indicate they were not comments on a NO vote:

Although we doubt that this will have any effect on the status of  ISO/IEC FDIS 17024 in ISO , ASIST has decided to submit the following comments on this document:

While we believe the document contains some valuable and useful guidelines and recommendations, we don't feel the document contains the necessary rigorous requirements that would justify it becoming an ISO standard.

Most if not all of the requirements specified in FDIS 17024 are general in their specification and contain no definitions of what they mean and no definition of what compliance with them  would mean. Also, because of this, the document does not define any mechanism for enforcing compliance or even discussing what compliance with it would mean, and, in fact, no mechanism for judging wether a certification body is or is not compliant with the requirements specified in the document.

In our opinion, this is another of what seems to becoming a trend of ISO attempting to produce standards, that while they may contain useful information and guidelines, do not contain anything that meets the level of being a standard that organizations could comply with, and thus does a disservice to the community by attempting to make them standards.

Mark

Sent from Mark Needleman's iPad