[Asis-l] Ph.D Student Recruitment: iSchool at University of Arizona

Hong cui hong1.cui at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 16:07:32 EDT 2017

Dear all,

*Recruiting Doctoral Students, PhD in Information, University of Arizona
School of Information*

The School of Information is accepting applications for its PhD program for
the incoming Fall 2018 cohort. We are seeking students with interests in
one of the following six areas:

              - machine learning, natural language processing, and text
retrieval

- social network analysis, computational social science, and
experimental/quasi-experimental design

- virtual reality, game development/design and human-computer interaction

- information sharing, mediated interaction, and interdisciplinary or
virtual teams

- information policy, ethics, economics, or the philosophy of information

- information management, multimodal collections from acquisition through
preservation, and archives/archival studies.

Instructional experience is preferred and should be highlighted in the
application materials, but is not required. Funding will be available for
select graduate students, and those students will receive tuition remission
and a stipend in exchange for instructional work. Grant-related funding
from supervising faculty at the School of Information may also be
available.

The School of Information is an academic unit in the College of Social and
Behavioral Sciences at the University of Arizona, Arizona’s only public
land grant university. The School’s mission: “As Arizona’s iSchool, we
collaborate across disciplines, drive critical research and development,
and educate the information intellectuals and professionals of tomorrow to
further positive social change that is rooted in the places where we live
and that impacts the world.”

At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we
know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing
innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an
inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by
seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse
students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a
wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates
to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with
disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who
will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating
a university that values student, staff, and faculty engagement in
addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.

For more Information, please see:
https://ischool.arizona.edu/phd-information.

With questions about research or doctoral work in the School, please
contact the School’s Director of Graduate Studies: Dr. Hong Cui,
hongcui at email.arizona.edu.

With quick questions about the applicant process or application materials,
feel free to reach out to our administrative support team through Grace
Green, greeng at email.arizona.edu.

--
Hong Cui, Ph.D <http://sirls.arizona.edu/hongcui>
Associate Professor, Information Technology