[Asis-l] How can we learn to reject "fake news" in the digital world?

Tom Mackey Tom.Mackey at esc.edu
Mon Dec 12 00:26:09 EST 2016

In a new article for The Conversation, entitled "How can we learn to reject "fake news" in the digital world?" Thomas Mackey and Trudi Jacobson argue that metaliteracy is required to challenge the influence of fake news and misinformation. This timely and topical piece is available at The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/how-can-we-learn-to-reject-fake-news-in-the-digital-world-69706

[http://cdn.theconversation.com/files/148740/width1356x668/image-20161205-8020-1d8gwmw.jpg]<https://theconversation.com/how-can-we-learn-to-reject-fake-news-in-the-digital-world-69706>

How can we learn to reject fake news in the digital world?<https://theconversation.com/how-can-we-learn-to-reject-fake-news-in-the-digital-world-69706>
theconversation.com
Researchers have found that today's students, despite being 'digital natives,' have a hard time distinguishing what is real and what is fake online. Metaliteracy might provide the answers.

Mackey and Jacobson are also launching an on-demand version of their Coursera MOOC entitled Metaliteracy: Empowering Yourself in a Connected World co-taught by Kelsey O'Brien and Michele Forte. You still have time to register for this free and open resource that starts this month: https://www.coursera.org/learn/metaliteracy?siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-3GBUmd50xMOUX8ctz.dPFA&utm_medium=partners&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&utm_content=10

<https://www.coursera.org/learn/metaliteracy?siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-3GBUmd50xMOUX8ctz.dPFA&utm_medium=partners&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&utm_content=10>For the latest Metaliteracy updates, go to Metaliteracy.org: https://metaliteracy.org
[https://secure.gravatar.com/blavatar/a015abd0c8de51ebf8c684df90137a0f?s=200&ts=1481028256]<https://metaliteracy.org/>

Metaliteracy.org | The official metaliteracy blog with the ...<https://metaliteracy.org/>
metaliteracy.org
At the invitation of Prof. Jamshid Beheshti from McGill University, an international team of researchers participated in a panel related to metaliteracy at the 2016 ...

Thomas P. Mackey, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Academic Programs
Office of Academic Affairs

Tom.Mackey at esc.edu
518-587-2100, ext. 2790

[ESC logo sized for email signatures]

SUNY Empire State College<http://www.esc.edu/> | 1 Union Avenue | Saratoga Springs, NY  12866
Stay connected:  Facebook<http://www.esc.edu/fanpage> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/@SUNYEmpire> | LinkedIn<http://www.esc.edu/linkedin> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPB-n8NWUpjdbUfua4zQ3WA>