[Asis-l] Instructor needed to teach "Big Data Technologies" for the School of Information, San Jose State University

H. Michelle Chen hsuanwei.chen at sjsu.edu
Sun Sep 27 18:38:00 EDT 2015

I am looking for an instructor for Spring 2016 who would teach a class
in Big Data Technologies for the School of Information at San Jose State
University. Our programs are delivered in a 100% asynchronous online format
so location is unimportant.

Spring runs from January 28th to May 16th.

The class will be taught as part of our interdisciplinary Advanced
Certificate in Big Data. The students will be in a workplace renewal grant
- engineers who are retooling.

Here is information about the content. This advanced course will explore
novel concepts and cutting-edge technologies in the Big Data area, focusing
on the application-related aspects of choosing the right Big Data
technologies as well the effective usage, administration and optimization
thereof. Since the technology landscape of this field is emerging, diverse
and quickly expanding, the main goal of this course is to teach the
fundamental concepts, while encouraging students to explore and understand
the specific differences among various new solutions in their individual
pursuits and experiments. Through technology blogging, tutorials,
presentations and projects, students will discuss and compare existing
solutions and also, acquire hands-on experiences with tools they will use
to carry out at least three typical Big Data management tasks,
including extract-transform-load, cleaning, integration, distributed
storage and usage (searching, querying and analytical processing). Since
different student teams will compare and experiment with a specific
combination of technologies, this course also has a survey character,
providing students a broad overview of the Big Data technology landscape.
In particular, solutions covered include but are not limited to Sqoop,
HCatalog, Talend, FRIL, Amazon S3, maprfs, GFS, HDFS, Hadoop, HBase,
Cassandra, CouchDB, Hive, Neo4J, HiveQL, Pig Latin, Jaql, Impala,
Drill/Dremel, ElasticSearch, Solr, Cloudera Search and Blur.

We use the Canvas Learning Management system. You will have an online
training class with our Director for Online Learning.

The class caps at 35. Salary for an instructor with a Ph.D degree
is $6,142; for a masters degree: $5,149; payable at the end.

If interested please send a resume and outline how your background and
experience would work well for this topic to me at: hsuanwei.chen at sjsu.edu.

Thanks for considering it.

Best,
Michelle

--

*Hsuanwei Michelle Chen, Ph.D.*Assistant Professor, School of Information
San Jose State University