[Asis-l] 2nd CfP: ECIR 2015 workshop on Supporting Complex Search Tasks (SCST15)

Marijn Koolen marijn.koolen at uva.nl
Sun Jan 11 04:44:16 EST 2015

CFP: ECIR 2015 - Workshop - Supporting Complex Search Tasks

Call for Papers: ECIR 2015 - Workshop - Supporting Complex Search Tasks
Vienna, Austria
http://humanities.uva.nl/~mkoolen1/SCST15/

ABOUT

One of the current challenges in information access is supporting
complex search tasks. A user's understanding of the information need and
the overall task develop as they interact with the system. Supporting
the various stages of the task involves many aspects of the system, e.g.
interface features, presentation of information, retrieving and ranking.
The Supporting Complex Search Tasks workshop aims at creating and
fostering an interdisciplinary forum where researchers can exchange and
contribute to the development of alternative experiments and prototypes.

We invite position papers addressing open research questions related to:

* Context: What are the obvious use cases and applications of complex
search?
* Tasks: What are essential features of work tasks and search tasks to
take into account?
* Heterogeneous sources: With a multitude of information, varying from
introductory to specialized, and from authoritative to speculative or
opinionated, when to show what sources of information?
* Search process: How does the information seeking process evolve and
what are relevant differences between different stages?
* UI/UX: What affordances are required and in what stage of the search
process? How can we make the search process transparent to the user? How
and when does the initiative shift between system and user?
* Evaluation: How do we know that our approaches are any good?

IMPORTANT LINKS

* Workshop: http://humanities.uva.nl/~mkoolen1/SCST15/
* Conference: http://ecir2015.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/wp/
* Call for Participation: http://humanities.uva.nl/~mkoolen1/SCST15/#/cfp
* Submission page: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scst2015

SUBMISSION INFORMATION
All submissions should be in English and should not have been published
or submitted for publication elsewhere.
Papers should not exceed 3 pages and formatted in the ACM Proceedings
Style (http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates) and
submitted via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scst2015).

Submission deadline: 02 February 2015, 23:59 GMT
Notification of acceptance: 7 March 2015
Camera ready deadline: 14 March 2015
Workshop date: 29 March 2015

Accepted papers will be published in the workshop proceedings (CEUR-WS).

ORGANIZERS:
Maria Gaede     Humboldt University
Mark Hall     Edge Hill University
Hugo Huurdeman     University of Amsterdam
Jaap Kamps     University of Amsterdam
Marijn Koolen     University of Amsterdam
Mette Skov     Aalborg University
Elaine Toms     Sheffield University
David Walsh     Edge Hill University

--

Marijn Koolen

Assistant professor of Digital Humanities
University of Amsterdam
Institute for Logic, Language & Computation
Department of Media Studies
Turfdraagsterpad 9
Room BG1 1.03
1012 XT Amsterdam