[Asis-l] Today: Presentation by Prof. Diane Nahl, in SL, on "Developing Professional Collaboration Skills in an Information Literacy Pedagogy Course'

Sheila A Webber s.webber at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 05:10:14 EST 2014

When: 12 February at 12 noon Second Life Time, which is the same as US
Pacific time (and e.g. 8pm in the UK, 3pm US Eastern time)

Where: In the virtual world, Second Life. You need a SL avatar and the SL
browser on your computer to attend. The location is
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Infolit%20iSchool/89/36/22

What: Prof Diane Nahl (Adra Letov in SL) of the University of Hawaii will
give a presentation  'Developing Professional Collaboration Skills in an
Information Literacy Pedagogy Course'

All are welcome! This is a Sheffield iSchool Centre for Information
Literacy Research event

Abstract "Since collaboration and projects are integral to the profession,
our graduate courses include teamwork to model and develop professional
practice. Over the past several years I have attempted to improve teamwork
in an information literacy pedagogy course (LIS 665 Teaching Information
Literacy). Graduate LIS students work in teams learning to teach
information literacy by designing standards-based instructional sessions,
teaching a class of 4th year psychology major students, and assessing
student success. Throughout the two-month design process I observed
students struggling to get along during decision-making. Disagreements and
misunderstandings are revealed in shared Google planning documents and
during classroom design sessions. In final LIS 665 course papers students
describe their team process, including difficulties with cooperation,
communication, meeting deadlines, gender bias, and division of labor. To
help students become aware of and track their collaboration style over 10
weeks as they design and implement their instruction session, I decided to
develop a self-report form based on my observations and on comments
describing the team process in previous course papers. I will present
results of students using the collaboration style form during the design
and teaching processes."
Sheila Webber, Senior Lecturer & Director of the Centre for Information
Literacy Research, Information School, The University of Sheffield, 211
Portobello Street, Sheffield, S1 4DP. UK
s.webber at sheffield.ac.uk
Phone: +44 114 222 2641
Second Life & Twitter: Sheila Yoshikawa
The Information Literacy Weblog http://information-literacy.blogspot.com/