[Asis-l] The NEASIS&T Student Travel Award jury is pleased to announce this year's winner!

Beata Panagopoulos bpanagopoulos at suffolk.edu
Wed May 2 11:49:28 EDT 2012

The 2012 NEASIS&T Student Travel Award goes to:

Brandi Loveday
BLLoveday at gmail.com
SUNY, University at Albany
Department of Information Science
Graduate Student: Information Management and Policy

for her essay addressing the questions:
    * Why she wishes to attend the 2011 ASIS&T Annual Meeting
    * How she believes she will be able to use the conference experience to further her career
    * How might NEASIS&T or ASIS&T benefit if she receives the award

Ms. Loveday's essay was impressively well-written and persuasive.  She concludes: "This year's meeting focuses on information, interaction and innovation
and all of these are needed in the area of information policy. Currently, the information policy special interest group in ASIS&T is verily defunct. It has no governing body and little activity to speak of aside from occasional emails.  As a student, I would like to make as much of a contribution to NEASIS&T, ASIS&T and the IFP SIG as possible while learning the ropes from peers and professionals alike. Contributions and collaborations through the SIG IFP could, ostensibly, lead innovative thinking in the arena of information and technology policy. I would also like to spearhead the effort to revitalize such an important group once I have graduated from SUNY Albany. As difficult as it may be to convey some of the concepts of privacy necessary in policy, we as information professionals must do our utmost to see that our government officials are informed by thorough, unbiased analysis and presented with viable options for updating the country's outdated policies. My passion runs deep for privacy policy and the unethical use of personally identifiable information currently in practice by corporations and government needs to be held in check for the safety and livelihood not only of the United States' citizens, but people everywhere."

Ms. Loveday will receive up to $1000 to help defray the costs of attendance at the 2012 Annual Meeting, "Information, Interaction, Innovation: Celebrating the Past, Constructing the Present, and Creating the Future" which takes place October 26-31, 2012 in Baltimore, Maryland. http://asis.org/asist2012/

Congratulations to Brandi Loveday for her excellent essay!

Finally, many thanks to the wise and diligent jury members: Deanna Beattie and Karie Kirkpatrick.

Beata Panagopoulos
NEASIST Student Travel Award Competition Jury Chair

Assistant Director, Technical Services
Sawyer Library
Suffolk University
8 Ashburton Place