[Asis-l] Mapping the knowledge covered by library classification systems

chaim Zins chaim.zins at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:09:38 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

The article, Mapping the knowledge covered by library classification
systems (JASIST 62(5), 877-901) has been published (May 2011) and is
online at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asi.21481/abstract
 The article is based on a 2-year study conducted at UNESP - Marilia,
SP  (Brazil/Israel)

Abstract.  This study explores, in 3 steps, how the 3 main library
classification systems, the Library of Congress Classification, the
Dewey Decimal Classification, and the Universal Decimal
Classification, cover human knowledge. First, we mapped the knowledge
covered by the 3 systems. We used the “10 Pillars of Knowledge: Map of
Human Knowledge,” which comprises 10 pillars, as an evaluative model.
We mapped all the subject-based classes and subclasses that are part
of the first 2 levels of the 3 hierarchical structures. Then, we
zoomed into each of the 10 pillars and analyzed how the three systems
cover the 10 knowledge domains. Finally, we focused on the 3 library
systems. Based on the way each one of them covers the 10 knowledge
domains, it is evident that they failed to adequately and
systematically present contemporary human knowledge. They are
unsystematic and biased, and, at the top 2 levels of the hierarchical
structures, they are incomplete.

If you have any critical reflections or practical suggestions please
share them with us and we will publish and respond in the FORUM page.
(http://www.success.co.il/knowledge/libclass/forum.html)

Sincerely,

Chaim Zins and Placida Santos

Chaim Zins, PhD.
Knowledge Mapping Research, Jerusalem, Israel;
Visiting Professor at the Information Science Post-Graduate Program, São
Paulo State University (UNESP), Marilia, Brazil.
Email: chaim.zins at gmail.com
Homepage: www.success.co.il
10 Pillars of Knowledge: Map of Human Knowledge
(http://www.success.co.il/knowledge/map/map.html)

Profa. Dra. Plácida L. V. Amorim da Costa Santos
PPGCI/DCI-FFC/Unesp
placidasantos at gmail.com
http://www.placida.gpnti.net.br
http://buscatextual.cnpq.br/buscatextual/visualizacv.jsp?id=S64781
GP- Novas Tecnologias em Informação
http://www.gpnti.net.br

--
Chaim Zins, PhD.
Knowledge Mapping Research, Jerusalem, Israel;
Visiting Professor at the Information Science Post-Graduate Program, São
Paulo State University (UNESP), Marilia, Brazil.
Mail: Chaim Zins
26 Hahaganah St, Jerusalem 97852, Israel;
Tel/Fax: 972-2-5816705
Email: chaim.zins at gmail.com
Homepage: www.success.co.il
10 Pillars of Knowledge: Map of Human Knowledge
(http://www.success.co.il/knowledge/index.html)