[Asis-l] Federal regulation of distance learning delivery

Bill Hersh hersh at ohsu.edu
Wed Mar 16 00:04:50 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I know that many ASIST members are involved with distance learning programs that cross state boundaries. Is anyone aware of these new federal regulations that will require institutions to get “approval” in any state outside their own in which they have students in their programs? Our state higher ed authorities (Oregon University System) are interpreting this rule to require any institution to get approval to deliver distance learning in any other state, yet few people I know who are involved in distance learning have heard about these.

The time and cost of doing this would be substantial, and then there might be challenges in states where approval could not be obtained. This would be especially challenging for programs like the one I run where students are already enrolled. Would they have to be unenrolled?

Here is a web site that describes these regulations, which were implemented last October:
http://wcet.wiche.edu/advance/state-approval

Bill Hersh