[Asis-l] CFP: 4th Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval (HCIR 2010)

Bill Kules kules at cua.edu
Mon Mar 29 10:57:05 EDT 2010

Fourth Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval

The 4th Annual Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information
Retrieval (HCIR 2010) will be held in conjunction the IIiX 2010
conference in New Brunswick, New Jersey on August 22, 2010. We're
pleased to announce that our keynote speaker will be Dan Russell from
Google. New for this year, we will also be running an HCIR Challenge
based on the New York Times Annotated Corpus!

WEB SITE

http://www.hcir2010.org/

ORGANIZATION CHAIRS:

Bill Kules, The Catholic University of America
Daniel Tunkelang, Google
Ryen White, Microsoft Research

PROGRAM CHAIR:

Rob Capra, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR:

Catherine Smith, Rutgers University

SPONSORS:

Endeca
Google
Microsoft Research

BACKGROUND

HCIR combines research from the fields of human-computer interaction
(HCI) and Information Retrieval (IR), placing an emphasis on human
involvement in search activities. The HCIR workshop has run annually
since 2007. The workshop unites academic researchers and industrial
practitioners working at the intersection of HCI and IR to develop
more sophisticated models, tools, and evaluation metrics to support
activities such as interactive information retrieval and exploratory
search. It provides an opportunity for attendees to informally share
ideas via posters, small group discussions and selected short talks.

NEW FOR 2010: THE HCIR CHALLENGE

New this year, we will be running the HCIR Challenge! The aim of the
challenge is to encourage HCIR researchers and practitioners to build
and demonstrate effective information access systems. Challenge
participants will have no-cost access to a large collection of almost
two million newspaper articles with rich metadata generously provided
for use in this challenge by The New York Times. The focus of
participation is building systems (or using existing ones) to help
people search the collection interactively. Entries will be judged by
an expert panel based on HCIR criteria (specifically: effectiveness,
efficiency, control, transparency, guidance, fun) and also judged by
workshop attendees at the event. More information on the challenge
will be made available on the workshop website.

FORMAT

We invite 4-page papers that will be reviewed by an international
program committee. Papers fall into two categories: position papers
describing an idea, an opinion, or early-stage research, and research
papers describing a conducted research study, an implemented system,
or a review of prior research. Papers will be judged based on
relevance to HCIR. Idea diversity across all submissions may also be
considered. The revised versions will be published on the workshop
website. The workshop time will be used for what participants have
told us that they found most valuable in previous events: posters and
directed group discussions.

We will select 4-6 papers for presentation in a workshop panel. All
other attendees are strongly encouraged to present posters during the
morning "poster boaster" session.  Selected HCIR challenge papers will
also have an opportunity to present their work orally at the event.

Our target is to have 50-75 participants.

Possible topics for discussion and presentation at the workshop
include, but are not limited to:

* Novel interaction techniques for information retrieval.
* Modeling and evaluation of interactive information retrieval.
* Exploratory search and information discovery.
* Information visualization and visual analytics.
* Applications of HCI techniques to information retrieval needs in
specific domains.
* Ethnography and user studies relevant to information retrieval and access.
* Scale and efficiency considerations for interactive information
retrieval systems.
* Relevance feedback and active learning approaches for information retrieval.

Demonstrations of systems and prototypes are particularly welcome.

IMPORTANT DATES

Mon June 14, 2010: Submission deadline for position papers (midnight
Pacific Time)
Fri July 16, 2010: Decisions sent to authors
Fri July 23, 2010: Deadline for accepted participants to register
Fri July 30, 2010: Submission deadline for camera-ready copies

WORKSHOP FEES AND TRAVEL SUPPORT

After careful consideration, we have decided to implement a $75
workshop fee. This will help offset the workshop costs and allow us to
defray expenses for 1-2 graduate students.

We also appreciate the support of our corporate sponsors. It is our
hope that the continuing success of this workshop will attract
additional funding in future years. If your company or organization is
interested in sponsoring travel scholarships, please let us know as
soon as possible.

--
"Decide, do, reflect, repeat..."
Bill Kules, Ph.D.