[Asis-l] ARIST

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed Apr 7 12:42:02 EDT 2010

Apologies for being delayed in responding to Marcia’s post.  ASIS&T Summit
meetings intervened (and are intervening right now).

First, repeating, ARIST content is not being cancelled.  The format has been
changed to what we think will be preferable and more useful for both authors
and readers – available more widely and more promptly in JASIS&T.

Marcia complains about the selection process for the JASIST Editor and then
the announcement of his appointment.  The selection process for JASIST
editor involved a carefully selected Task Force which involved members of
the then-current editorial board.  We did not consult with the entire
editorial board, as that could lead to bias and self-perpetuation.  Perhaps
too late, apparently insufficiently, we communicated the decision to the
then Editorial Board.  Yes, we did insist that the new editor have a free
hand in selecting his own Editorial Board, and that e-mail was not
personalized but sent through a list so all would know at the same time.
Mea Culpa’s for offenses taken have already been made.

As has been stressed, the ARIST format decision was not quick or easy. A
broadly representative task force, including ARIST authors and readers, an
independent scholarly publishing consultant knowledgeable about trends and
directions, elected leaders and a wide variety of viewpoints was assembled
and presented with all available information.  A full day retreat was held,
resulting in the Task Force’s recommendation to the ASIS&T Board, a
recommendation which was accepted.

With the volume of data and studies involved, some of it confidential and
proprietary to publishers, it was not seen as practical to take the issues,
in all their complexity, to the membership at large.  That, after all, is
why organizations assemble task forces.

The decision was not withheld from the members; it was announced on what was
a considered timeline, including publisher advice, to not affect sales of
current editions.

Dick Hill

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900