[Asis-l] Ceasing publication of ARIST

M.J. Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Thu Apr 1 04:49:22 EDT 2010

Having been, like many of us, brought up on ARIST, from the early Carlos
time, I share the uneasy feeling and nostalgia expressed by Nick and Bahaa.

Yet, good old times are gone.

Rather than seeking to revisit the decision process, with the secret
hope of possibly reversing it, should not we concentrate our efforts at
envisioning what a "New ARIST" could be and how to make it a reality in
tomorrow's world?

Since ARIST was the treasure of the information sciences community
worldwide, it would be appropriate for this effort to be carried out
jointly with national and international scholarly societies active in
the broad field of information sciences.

Michel Menou

nicholas belkin wrote:
> The value of ARIST to the ASIST and general scholarly community is
> immense. It is not only a tool for keeping current, for many different
> constituencies and purposes, but also an invaluable historical record. I
> have difficulty in believing that the general value of ARIST was
> properly weighed against what I assume to have been a financial cost. In
> particular, since the viability of an electronic version of ARIST
> appears to have been supported, I think that it would be appropriate for
> those who took this decision to explain precisely why it was taken, and
> why electronic publication was decided against.
>
> Nicholas J. Belkin
> Past President,   ASIST

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, Department of Information Studies
University College London, U.K.
13 rue Nationale
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou[at]gmail[dot]com