[Asis-l] CfP: Workshop on CSCW Research in Healthcare: Past, Present, and Future

Madhu Reddy mreddy at ist.psu.edu
Tue Sep 29 13:01:06 EDT 2009

Call for Participation: CSCW Research in Healthcare: Past, Present, and
Future

CSCW 2010 workshop

Savannah, Georgia, USA

Website: http://sites.google.com/site/cscwinhc/

Healthcare is among the most complex and highly collaborative domains of
work practice in the world. CSCW research has long been interested in
healthcare including examination of electronic medical records in
collaborative clinical settings, collaborative technologies in
healthcare, and the collaborative practices of patient care teams.
Through this research, we have gained a better understanding of the role
that collaboration plays in healthcare and the types of technologies
that can support collaboration among health care workers.

Although many prior CSCW studies and technologies have focused on
clinical and hospital settings, the changing nature of healthcare
delivery also opens a larger space for CSCW research. For instance, the
concept of individuals managing their own health information
independently through a Personal Health Record (PHR) raises new
questions about collaboration mediated over differing levels of
expertise and terminology, as well as across organizational boundaries
and professional disciplines.

Currently, the world faces significant challenges related to the growing
proportion of elders with chronic conditions, combined with a global
lack of trained clinicians. Health systems worldwide look for new ways
of collaboration and for new information technologies to help them
address these challenges. Thus, there is a growing need for
understanding collaboration in health care and for designing
technologies that support for the highly collaborative work of patient
care. Hence, we are now at an opportune time to reflect on how previous
CSCW research can inform the design of current technologies that support
collaboration in health care, and begin to define an agenda for research
into how information technologies can support new forms of
collaboration, such as clinician-patient collaboration

In this workshop, we are interested in bringing together participants
who are addressing a wide range of conceptual and technical issues in
the healthcare domain to reflect on and address these issues.

SUBMISSIONS

We welcome submission from researchers and practitioners who are
interested in issues of collaboration, technology and healthcare. For
submission details, please see our workshop website
http://sites.google.com/site/cscwinhc/. The workshop submission should
be e-mailed to Dr. Madhu Reddy (mreddy at ist.psu.edu) by 5 pm PST on Nov
2009. If you have any questions about the workshop or your submission,
please contact Dr. Reddy.

Since the workshop will be highly interactive, the number of
participants will be strictly limited. So, if you are interested in
participating, please submit your workshop paper by the deadline.

Participants will also be encouraged to expand their workshop papers and
submit them for consideration to a special issue of the International
Journal of Medical Informatics on Collaboration in Healthcare Settings
edited by the workshop organizers.

KEY DATES

Submission Deadline: Nov 20, 2009

Notification of Acceptance: Dec.15, 2009

CSCW Conference <http://www.cscw2010.org/> : Feb 6-10, 2010 (The
workshop date will be announced shortly)

ORGANIZERS

Dr. Madhu Reddy, The Pennsylvania State University

Dr. Jakob Bardram, IT University of Copenhagen

Dr. Paul Gorman, Oregon Health & Science University