[Asis-l] CFP: Personal Information Management: PIM 2008 (A CHI Workshop)

Jacek Gwizdka asis at gwizdka.com
Thu Aug 9 11:48:57 EDT 2007

(apologies for cross-posting)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Personal Information Management: PIM 2008

A CHI 2008 WORKSHOP
April 5 & 6, 2008, FLORENCE, ITALY

WEBSITE: http://www.pim2008.org

DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS: 3 October 2007

Personal information management (PIM) is the practice and study of
the activities people perform to acquire, organize, maintain, and
retrieve information for everyday use.  PIM is a growing area of
interest as we all strive for better use of our limited personal
resources of time, money, and energy, as well as greater workplace
efficiency and productivity. Good research on the topic is being done
in several disciplines, including human-computer interaction,
database management, information retrieval, and artificial
intelligence.  This two-day workshop will continue momentum towards
building a community of researchers doing PIM-related research.

We encourage participation based on, but not limited to, the
following PIM-related topics:

Understanding PIM
- How people manage their personal information beyond their desktop
- How people find and re-find information
- How people keep and organize information
- Methods and methodologies of PIM fieldwork: How do we study PIM?

Tools and Techniques in Support of PIM
- Mobile and Web-based PIM tools
- Underlying data representation and the unification of personal information
- Tools for finding and re-finding personal information
- Tools for keeping and organizing personal information
- Methods and methodologies for the evaluation of PIM tools
- Teachable/learnable strategies of PIM

PIM in the Larger World
- Group information management
- Privacy and projection of personal information
- Security, law and policies (public and corporate)
- PIM for different people and situations (e.g., patients, aging populations)

Workshop Theme: The Disappearing Desktop

The traditional desktop computer and even the desktop computing
metaphor may soon be relics of our digital information past.  Many
people now rely primarily on mobile computers, docking only on
occasion to a larger keyboard and display. Other people do not rely
on a single device, but rather access, organize, and manage their
personal information through any device that provides access the
Web.  A rush of developments with mobile and Web-based computing are
pulling the traditional digital desktop apart. As this happens, we
face new challenges and opportunities in personal information management.

PIM 2008 will provide a forum for discussion of a wide range of
PIM-related issues.  In keeping with the "disappearing desktop"
theme, special focus will be given to challenges and opportunities
created by an ongoing revolution in mobile and Web-based tools and
technologies for information management.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Interested participants should submit to one of the following
submission categories:

- Position statement (Maximum 2000 words)
- Full paper (Maximum 8000 words)

Submissions should be mailed to submission AT pim2008.org by 5pm PST
on October 3, 2007.  Please indicate the intended submission category
and which of the three topic areas best applies to your submission:

- Understanding PIM
- Tools and Techniques in Support of PIM
- PIM in the Larger World

ORGANIZERS
Jaime Teevan, Microsoft Research, USA
William Jones, University of Washington, USA
Deborah Barreau, University of North Carolina, USA
Rick Boardman, Google, USA
Ofer Bergman, University of Sheffield, UK
Tiziana Catarci, University of Roma, Italy
Robert Capra, University of North Carolina, USA
Jens Dittrich, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Susan Dumais, Microsoft Research, USA
David Elsweiler, University of Strathclyde, UK
Danyel Fisher, Microsoft Research, USA
Jacek Gwizdka, Rutgers University, USA
Kirstie Hawkey, University of British Columbia, Canada
Antonella Poggi, University of Roma, Italy
Simone Stumpf, Oregon State University, USA
Manas Tungare, Virginia Tech, USA
Steve Whittaker, University of Sheffield, UK