[Asis-l] HCI Pre-Conference @ ASIST 2006 -- Posters

Elaine Toms Elaine.Toms at dal.ca
Mon Oct 2 15:02:40 EDT 2006

We are delighted to the announce that the I-School at the
University of Texas at Austin has generously funded a
$200 award for the best submission to the HCI at ASIST
Symposium, a pre-conference event at this year's ASIST
Conference.

While the call for papers has closed, we are extending our
call for posters until October 10th.  See details below.

Call for Posters [NEW]

2006 Research Symposium of the
Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction
American Society for Information Science and Technology

Human Computer Interaction in Information-Intensive
Environments

Sunday, November 5, 2006, 8:30am-12:30 pm,
Hilton Austin, Austin, TX

Perhaps the single development that has most affected
the way in which the world accesses, examines and uses
information is the computer and the use of interactive
technologies. Unlike the interactivity coupled with ATMs,
online ticket purchasing and accounting systems, the
interactivity associated with information-intensive
environments demands complex tools, innovative forms of
interaction, and novel ways of visualizing and representing
content. In this context, the study of human computer
interaction (HCI) is unique due to the focus on interactions
among people, content and systems. This half-day
Symposium aims to rejuvenate the use and study of HCI
within the information science context.

Research posters: 1-2 pages (750-1,000) words

In both categories submissions should describe results
from completed or ongoing research projects related to the
scope of the symposium.

Submissions should be emailed to hci at dal.ca by
October 10, 2006;

Accepted submissions will be posted to
the SIG-HCI website.

Participants must register with ASIS&T for the
Symposium.  To register for the Symposium:
SIG HCI members: $55,
ASIS&T members: $70,
non-members: $85.

Symposium Co-Chairs:
Elaine Toms (etoms at dal.ca), Dalhousie University,
Canada
Anita Komlodi (komlodi at umbc.edu), University of
Maryland, United States

Program and Organizing Committee:
Luanne Freund, University of Toronto, Canada
Jim Jansen, The Pennsylvania State University, United States
Amanda Spink, Queensland University of Technology,
Australia