[Asis-l] Moderators Needed

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Wed May 12 11:49:45 EDT 2004

We need new moderators for ASIS-L.  Ideally we will have moderators form
Overseas, and across multiple times zones so everyone's task will be
minimal.

If you are interested, see below and contact Dick Hill <rhill at asis.org> off
list.

After several years, Cass Armstrong retired as moderator of ASIS-L and I
have been taking care of those duties since.

Moderating isn't a really big deal.  Everything is done through a web
interface.  Messages like the one below come in as postings are received
(from non members of the list, or with attachments/styled text - "suspicious
header").

As moderator, one can approve messages as they arrive OR wait for a daily
summary of what is pending -- sent around 4:00 pm EST.  With many lists we
ignore the postings of regular spam and try to clean out the lists daily --
unless there are subscriptions, which we try to handle immediately.

We have tried and are trying to get an effective filter above the lists (and
above all staff PCs) which will block a lot of the spam that comes to the
lists and requires discarding the messages, but that has not happened yet.

As far as volume is concerned, there can be 50 - over 100 spams a day to the
list.

Dick Hill