[Asis-l] HCIL Talk - "Making Visualization Work" - 9/22, 2:00pm

Kollet, Sharmon sharmon at cs.umd.edu
Fri Sep 12 13:29:18 EDT 2003

Title: Making Visualization Work
Speaker: Ben Bederson
When/Where: 2:00pm, Monday, Sept. 22 in CSIC room 1115

Abstract:

The human visual system is incredibly powerful.  Many people have tried to
create computer systems that present information visually to take advantage of
that power.  The potential is great - for tasks ranging from detecting patterns
and outliers to quickly browsing and comparing large datasets.  And yet, the
number of successful visualization programs that we use today is limited.

In this talk, I will discuss common problems with visualizations, and show
several approaches that we have developed to avoid those problems.  By applying
Zoomable User Interfaces, Fisheye distortion, carefully controlled animation,
and working closely with users, we have created a range of applications which we
have shown to have significant benefits.  These application domains include
photo browsing, calendar management on PDAs, and digital libraries for children.

***The Computer Science Instructional Center is a new building on campus.  If
you need directions, please go to:
http://www.inform.umd.edu/CampusInfo/Facilities/Buildings/CSIC/ .   Parking is
available at the pay lot across from the AV Williams Building on Paint Branch
Drive.