[Asis-l] Question for Candidates

Gailhodge at aol.com Gailhodge at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 22:02:04 EDT 2003

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO THE MESSAGE SENT BY BRIAN GRAY.

Brian,

Sorry I haven't responded to your question for the candidates regarding ASIST
and other similar organizations.  I have been out of the office quite a bit
lately.

I truly believe that ASIST has a unique role to play, but it is true that
there is overlap among the various organizations, not only SLA, but NFAIS, MLA,
and others.  Obviously in a time of decreased resources, both time and money
(individual and employer), there will be increased competition for membership,
conference attendance, etc. However, these really are our sister organizations.
 Each has its own unique purpose and perspective.

I would like to see more opportunities to work together.  There have already
been significant efforts on the part of Dick Hill and his counterparts to
provide meeting discounts for members of sister organizations.  I think joint
programming is a natural way to extend this effort, take advantage of other
resources and perspectives and encourage attendance at ASIST meetings.  Joint
programming (which often happens between SLA and ASIST at the chapter level for
example) is a way to advance the profession as a whole by exposing members to the
perspectives of our counterparts.

Gail Hodge

[Posted for Brian Gray <brian.gray at santoprene.com>.  Dick Hill]

I would like to hear your view on the complementary nature of ASIS&T with
other groups such as SLA, and the role ASIS&T has to work with others
professional groups in order to advance the information profession as a whole.

Brian C. Gray
Information Assistant
Advanced Elastomer Systems, L.P.
brian.gray at santoprene.com