[Asis-l] HCIL Fall Seminar Series

Kollet, Sharmon sharmon at cs.umd.edu
Thu Sep 4 09:50:14 EDT 2003

	Mark your calendar!!

	The Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory (HCIL) at the University of
Maryland, College Park is hosting a Fall Seminar Series.  There will be one talk
per month given by an invited guest.  Please see our web site for more details,
including talk abstracts
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/about/events/hcil-seminar-2003.shtml .

	We are proud to announce that  Dr. John Flowers from the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln 's Psychology Department will kick-off the Series on September
23rd at 2:00pm in 2120 CSIC.  He will be giving a talk entitled "Should we
listen to our data?  The promise of sonification as alternative or supplement to
data visualization techniques."

	Abstract:

	While it has not yet gained widespread acceptance, the representation of
quantitative data through sound is a promising new tool for scientific
discovery, education, and communication that is potentially available to nearly
anyone with a personal computing device. As is true with the development of
computer visualization techniques, the production of effective auditory display
technology will require tight collaboration between experts in computer and
software technology and cognitive scientists familiar with the properties and
limitations of human attention and perception. Dr. Flowers' presentation will
present examples of recent research on the auditory representation of
statistical properties of relatively "simple" numeric data sets, as well as
sonification of more complex multivariate time series data such as climate
records. His presentation will also outline some avenues of future research on
facilitating human decisions concerning complex data and development of
assistive technology for blind and visually impaired individuals.

	Other talks in the HCIL Fall Seminar Series include:

	October 21, 2:00pm  (2120 CSIC)-  Dr. Brad Myers, Carnegie Mellon
University,  "Mobile Devices for Control."

	November 14, 2:00pm (2107 CSIC)  - Dr. Gennady Andrienko from Germany's
Fraunhofer Institut Autonome Intelligente Systeme, "Spatio-temporal information
visualization"

	December 2, 2:00pm (2120 CSIC) - Dr. Mike Eisenberg from the University
of Colorado at Boulder's Cognitive Science Institute will be giving a talk.  The
title will be announced soon on the web page.

	Please email hcil-info at cs.umd.edu or call 301-405-2769 with any
questions.

	We look forward to seeing you throughout the series!