[Asis-l] DigiCULT Announces the release of Issue 5 - A Newsletter on Digital Culture

DigiCULT Forum digicult-forum at digicult.info
Wed Nov 12 04:32:31 EST 2003

Issue 5 - A Newsletter on Digital Culture
October 2003, ISSN 1609-3941

Please welcome to the next edition in a series of e-journals from
DigiCULT. Heritage Informatics continues to emerge as an exciting area
for both the application of new technologies and as a source for
research challenges that promote innovative technological developments.

An extra day in Berlin after IFLA2003 provided an opportunity to visit
the Museumsinsel, one of the finest museum complexes in the world.
Currently many of its buildings are undergoing extensive renovations. As
on my right I passed the reopened Alte Nationalgalerie I noticed one of
the buildings currently wrapped for restoration was covered by a massive
poster. In the words Weltkultur beflügelt (world culture gives wings) it
asks all who pass to consider the liberating power of the cultural
heritage. Articles in this issue of DigiCULT.Info all show the power of
new technologies in helping cultural heritage institutions in achieving
their objective of improving the care, understanding and benefits of
cultural heritage to individuals and society. Reflecting on the phrase
Weltkultur beflügelt, we are reminded that technology is an enabler and
not an end in itself.
Seamus Ross

Download DigiCULT.Info Issue 5 (1.3 MB)
http://www.digicult.info/pages/pubpop.php?file=http://www.digicult.info/downloads/digicultinfo_issue5_october_2003.pdf

DigiCULT Publications offer a valuable resource of mission-critical
information in the selection and use of digital technologies for
Europe’s heritage organisations:
- Thematic Issues: results of themed expert fora
- DigiCULT Technology Watch Reports: in-depth technology evaluation
- DigiCULT.Info Newsletter: articles about services, studies, technologies, and activities
- DigiCULT Website: info, events, links, all publications online for download [more...]
http://www.digicult.info/pages/publications.php

Comment on the Technology Watch Briefings: Each briefing for the
upcoming DigiCULT Technology Watch Reports are made available for
comment online. The first draft of the latest briefings The XML Family
of Technologies, Technologies and New Socio-economic Business Models,
and Collaboration and Virtual Communities are online. Comments and
suggestions to be implemented in the final draft are cordially invited.
http://www.digicult.info/pages/publications.php

Subscribe to the Newsletter DigiCULT.Info /
http://www.digicult.info/pages/subscribe.php

Submit an Event / http://www.digicult.info/pages/addevent.php

(c) DigiCULT Forum 2003 / http://www.digicult.info/