[Asis-l] information architecture

Terrell, Thomas tterrell at chuma1.cas.usf.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:58:10 EDT 2003

By some name, Information Architecture (IA) will always be with us, just as
real architecture will always be with us. We will always need to think
strategically about information storage and retrieval, and we will always
need to understand the there are issues of scale, economy and bandwidth that
impact that thinking.
We may change our vocabulary. We will change our "best practices" every day,
because hardware and software costs and capabilities change every day. The
lines that delineate IA and information design will be drawn and redrawn and
argued over for years.  This is good and healthy, because the subject is
still alive as long as there is disagreement and discussion.
Think of all of the years that Einstein and Bohr argued the finer points of
the nature of light and energy. Many of their peers were bored within a few
years, but without those discussions and the letters and publications that
followed them, we would not have super-strings today.
I am fairly certain that there is no unified field theory of Information
Science. As we change access to information, we change expectations for
access. As those change, we change. To manage change and design new answers,
we need IA... at least until we all get a wireless modem in our cerebral
cortex, but then we would still need a P2P management tool, and a definition
of what it did and how files would be identified and metadata schemes...
Oh well, apparently we will ALWAYS need IA and people who study it.

Tom Terrell

Dr. Thomas F. Terrell
Assistant Professor
University of South Florida