[Asis-l] Libraries and Learning Objects

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sun Jul 20 14:01:42 EDT 2003

                                Libraries and Learning Objects

  I am greatly interested and Any and All current or planned
initiatives by libraries that relate to the creation, use, and/or
cataloging of LEARNING OBJECTS. A Learning Object may be defined as "any
digital resource that can be reused to support learning" (David A.
Wiley)"

          [ http://www.reusability.org/read/chapters/wiley.doc  ]

  Among the *many* excellent  introductions to Learning Objects are the
 following:

The Instructional Use of Learning Objects
[ http://www.reusability.org/read/ ]

Learning Objects
[http://www.atl.ualberta.ca/downes/naweb/Learning_Objects.htm ]

Learning Objects:  What?
[ http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/CIE/AOP/LO_what.html ]

CLOE Stories
[ http://learnware.uwaterloo.ca/projects/CCCO/cloe_stories.html ]

   I am particularly interested in Library programs that currently or
intend to use the Learning Object approach  in any form for Library
Instruction. In addition, I am interested in cataloging efforts by
libraries to assign metadata to library and/or institutional Learning
Objects

   As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, critiques, queries,
Cosmic Insights, or Lessons of Mass Instruction [:-)] are Most Welcome!

   Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Objective Librarian