[Asis-l] Winifred Sewell passes away

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Tue Oct 29 08:02:54 EST 2002

Word has been received that Winifred Sewell died last week.  Below is bio
information and the URL for her entry on the Information Science Pioneers
website.

Dick Hill
------------------
Winifred Sewell
DATES: 1917- 2002
WORKED AT: Squibb Institue for Medical Research; Columbia University; NLM

OTHER INFORMATION: Sewell worked at: Columbia University (librarian);
Wellcome Research Labs, NLM; Later as consultant. She was interested in
coordination of chemical and biomedical terminology (especially online
retrieval systems), medical information transfer, online searching
behaviors of pharmacists; Believes need to maintain close relationship with
the needs of scientists and to obtain the publications that concern them;
Must maintain this relationship since have to quickly and efficiently
classify different materials; Editor Unlisted Drugs; Believes "the better
our own relationship with all non-librarians and specialized fields of
knowledge, the greater can be our own progress" (Current Biography); Also
interested in bibliometrics of molecular biology; Developed MESH for
Medlars; Worked for Squibb before NLM.

Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
PHONE: (301) 495-0900